My Boyfriend Made Me Watch The First Three Star Wars Movies – Here’s What I Thought

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Over Thanksgiving break, I caved and subscribed to Disney+. My boyfriend and I were looking around to see what gems were on there, and he freaked out when he saw that all of the Star Wars movies had been included.

All of them.

He immediately proposed a Star Wars marathon. I was reluctant at first because I had never really vibed with the whole Star Wars scene, not to mention I had never considered watching any of the movies. But, I thought of when I made him watch American Horror Story with me (he hates anything horror related), so I decided to give it a shot.

Also, I guess I should include a spoiler alert? These movies are like 20 years old, but I guess if you’re planning on watching these and don’t want spoilers, I wouldn’t necessarily read on.

Here is a running record of my thoughts and reviews of the first three movies in the series (we are watching them in release order, not chronological order :) ).

Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (1977)

• Movie starts, we have snacks and I am fully prepared

• Intro is loud, gives me goosebumps for some reason

• Lots of laser guns? Cool

• Princess captured by Darth Vader, of course

• The robots are adorable (I was corrected, these are called DROIDS not robots, sorry Joe).

• More fighting?

• How do they travel to different planets so fast????

• This movie has so many laser guns it’s ridiculous

• Death Star blown up, yeet

• Princess is saved of course

• Luke Skywalker saves the day, hooray

My review: I liked this movie. Way too many laser guns but it was okay. I also LOVE Carrie Fisher, so that made this movie even better. I thought it was well done. 10/10.

Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

• Starts the same as the other one

• Darth Vader is BACK and he’s big mad

• Basically this movie is a ton of battling 

• Luke Skywalker meets Yoda in this one and I love Yoda so a big plus

• This is a big battle

• VADER IS HIS DAD

• Luke really almost got murdered by his own father wow

• They save the day again nice

My Review: This one was good! It was a lot better than the one previous- my boyfriend told me that’s because they had a much bigger budget for this one, which makes sense. I really liked it, and I literally did not know that Darth Vader was his dad even though it was apparently obvious, but whatever. 12/10.

Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (1983)

• Oh shoot, Darth Vader is back AGAIN of course

• Han Solo and Princess Leia are in love, that’s cute

• Jabba the Hut is disgusting

• THEY’RE SIBLINGS??????

• Wow… another battle

• That guy fell really far, ouch

• Why is Darth Vader so crusty…rip though

• happy ending :-)

My Review: This one was my favorite! I loved the story of this one and there were definitely some plot twists that I was not expecting. 20/10.

Given these reviews, I definitely recommend watching these movies. They’re actually really well put-together, and I can’t wait to watch the rest of them.

HCXO, Alexandra

All images courtesy of Google Images.

Hi I'm Alexandra! I'm an English major with a concentration in writing studies, along with a minor in film studies, at Millersville University. I love to write, take pictures of anything and everything, and spend time with my family and friends. <3
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3