books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

My 12 Most Recent 5 Star Reads

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

In no particular order (because they all deserve five stars in my opinion) keep scrolling to check out my twelve most recent five star books! 

Quick disclaimer: One person’s five stars may not be mine so take this simply as opinion. For reference here’s the qualities of a five star read for me. A book deserves five stars when you can’t stop thinking about it even once you finish it. It will pop into your head at random times. A five star book is driven by feeling; it is the one where I laugh, I cry, I smile, and I get upset. It’s the ones that leave a lasting impact and have me thinking (and feeling) some type of intense way. A five star read is one you don’t want to put down, but you also never want it to come to an end. 

Without further ado, here they are!

Daisy Jones and the Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid

One of my all time favorites! This book is so raw and real. It’s told in such a unique way having been written in an oral history format. You will cry and laugh, and feel everything along with the characters as they retell their experiences in a (fictional) popular rock band in the 1970s. (Also, there’s a show now too! I’m looking forward to checking it out!).

Riley Keough and Sam Claflin in Daisy Jones and the Six
Lacey Terrell / Prime Video
The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid

Another book that will tug at your heartstrings. Poignant, heartfelt, and beautifully told. I loved it, truly.

Washington Square Press/Amazon
Maybe in Another Life by Taylor Jenkins Reid

Can you tell I love a good Taylor Jenkins Reid book? Another hit in my personal opinion. It details two different time lines where one choice changes the main character’s life. Which path is better? What if we all made that one decision differently? This book had me thinking about those big questions!

Washington Square Press/Amazon
One Last Stop by Casey McQuiston

One Last Stop took me a minute to get into, but once I did, I was so intrigued. Again, this story is told so differently including the inclusion of some mysterious time travel.

St. Martin’s Griffin/Amazon
Book Lovers by Emily Henry

Need a sweet, playful romance that will give you all the butterflies? Definitely check this out! One of my favorite romance reads. Hopefully you love Charlie and Nora as much as I do!

Berkley/Amazon
The Inheritance Games by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

SOOOO GOOD! While this is a YA series it did not disappoint in any way. I read all three books in the span of a week because I could not put them down for long! There’s another book coming out for this series in August and I’m so pumped! I love these characters, but more I love the unpredictable twists the book series takes. It left me guessing in the best ways!

Little, Brown Books for Young Readers/Amazon
Amber and Clay by Laura Amy Schlitz

Amber and Clay is a beautifully and uniquely written book. It tells the story of two characters in the setting of ancient Greece. I love the way the majority of this book is written in verse form. It feels really true to the ancient Greek tradition.

Candlewick/Amazon
Hurricane Season by Nicole Melleby

Melleby has written a powerful middle schooler book that deals with so many big issues from mental health to sexuality. It will make you cry but has its beautiful and sweet moments too.

Algonquin Young Readers/Amazon
The Anthropocene Reviewed by John Green

I personally think John Green is one of the best contemporary authors, and this book did not disappoint. While it is nonfiction, instead of his usual fiction writing, you can hear his voice (literally, if you listen to the audio book) as you read. He gives reviews in an essay-style that will have you laughing, and some that push you to really think about the world we live in.

Dutton/Amazon
Lovely War by Julie Berry

This is such an intriguing novel as Greek gods tell a WWII love story. It’s complex, layered, and beautiful.

Viking Books for Young Readers/Amazon
The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton

If you haven’t already read this in school, it is a must read for all ages! I recently reread it as I am currently student teaching, and this novel is my focus for the unit I’m teaching. My students love it so far, as do I!

Viking Books for Young Readers/Amazon
The Dead Romantics by Ashley Poston

At first I was not a fan of this book, but I got sucked in. I did not want to put it down. I recognize the unique story told here in a way that is unconventional yet commentates of grief, loss, and love is many forms.

Berkley/Amazon

While these are just twelve of my recent five star rated books, I hope you decide to check a couple out! Maybe they will be your next five star read too!

HCXO,

Natalie

Natalie Flory

Millersville '23

Natalie Flory is a senior English Education major with a minor in English as a Second Language/Linguistics at Millersville University. In her free time, Natalie loves reading young adult books, crocheting, writing, and spending time with family and friends.