This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Since I was a little girl, it has been my dream to find my person–a love that is unique to me and that person, the person who makes my heart happy, and someone supportive and trustworthy. I am lucky to have found that with my high school sweetheart, Matt. My boyfriend Matt and I have been dating December 2017. We went to the same high school but decided to go to two separate colleges where we have been doing long distance for the past four years. Matt is selfless, hardworking, loving, and is truly my rock, my best friend and boyfriend all in one. However, being long distance with your high school sweetheart is both one of the most rewarding and toughest experiences, mainly because of balancing how much you miss them when you’re away from each other, but realizing how great it is when you spend that quality time together. There are 3 big things that I think have helped us stay as healthy and strong as we are and have prepared us for the future.

Communication is key:

This is my biggest tip, especially when going through long distance with someone that means the most to you. Being open and honest with each other, talking to each other about your days via text or facetime or even just sending a quick message telling them how much you love them is so important and validating. I think that having solid communication throughout the past 4 years has really helped us and it is something we will continue in the long run.

Talk about the future:

Matt and I talk about the future a lot and always have since the beginning of our relationship. The smallest “in the future moments,” like planning when we are seeing each other next and what we are going to do when we’re together, to the bigger “in the future moments”, like planning out what our future looks like together, gives you so much hope when doing it long distance. Having things to look forward to in your future together and realizing that the distance is temporary is one of the best feelings to have when you are missing them. The future is one of those things that seemed so far away when we were seventeen, but four years have flown by and now the future we have been planning for is at our fingertips. It’s hard to wrap your head around life before your person, when it also feels like yesterday at the same time.

Have your own things:

While being together is so important, it is also important to have your own things outside of the relationship. Having that balance of being apart while remaining as one is so crucial to a healthy relationship. While doing long distance these past few years has been hard, I think that ultimately going to two separate colleges has been the best for our relationship. It has allowed us to figure out our own lives while remaining a strong couple at the end of the day. We are able to be ourselves and have our own things through our relationship that bring us together. When our lives truly become one, we will realize how important it is to still have some things that are our own.

I am so grateful to have the most amazing and supportive boyfriend that I met all those years ago. Trust me, I don’t take it for granted. I am so thankful to have found my person at such a young age, as we have been able to grow up together through our strong foundation that was set in high school. I truly can’t imagine my life without Matt and I can’t wait to see what the future holds after college for us. Love is always worth it in the end, and I am so happy to have found it with Matt. Everyone deserves to find their person.

HCXO, Sami

Sami Cordner

Millersville '22

My name is Sami Cordner and I am a senior Early Childhood Education major with a minor in STEM at Millersville University graduating in December 2022. I have been dancing for 19 years and recently accepted a position as a dance teacher! I also enjoy cooking, shopping, writing, reading and spending time with the people I love the most. My favorite articles to write are about relationships, experiences and lifestyle! After college I hope to become a 2nd or 3rd grade teacher!