Madi Stoutland: Breaking the Stereotypes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Madi Stoutland is currently a junior at Millersville University, studying communication with a concentration in public relations and a minor in entrepreneurship. If it sounds like Madi takes on a lot, it’s because she does.

Here at Millersville, Madi is a sister of Alpha Sigma Tau, where she serves as the Vice President of Growth and is the GCAT chair for the chapter.

“My sorority means the world to me,” Madi says. “I am extremely passionate about everything I do within it. I love being able to reach out to the community and girls on our campus. Giving people the opportunity to see a glimpse of our sisterhood means so much to me.”

She is also a member of Millersville’s Relay for Life team, where she previously served as the fundraising chair, and is the newly elected Vice President. The role Madi plays on Relay for Life is dear to her heart.

“Relay for Life started playing a part in my life when I was just 5. Cancer has affected my family and I too harshly. My involvement in Relay on Millersville’s campus is more about helping those who cannot help themselves, though. I love being able to make a difference that is bigger than myself. I hope people will start to see how much of a difference they can make with even a small effort. It is up to all of us to fight for those who cannot fight for themselves, and this is something that I hope one day this campus can realize and take in.”

Madi also credits some of her AST sisters for their role in Relay. In fact, 18 of the Relay committee members are also involved in Greek organizations, both fraternities and sororities.

“Some of the biggest activists on this campus are in Greek life, and it really shows when we come together for Relay.”

Why Millersville, you may ask? Madi says she chose Millersville because it was close to home, and she knew she could make it a second home for herself. She knew she could make an impact here as well.

“I hope to not only break the stereotype of Greek life and sororities on campus, but to also show that we are so much more than just a group of girls. We are smart, intellectual women. Some of the hardest working people I know are in Greek life.”

Outside of college, Madi hopes to make a difference in the community and the world that is bigger than herself. She hopes to get her degree in cosmetology so that she can work closer with the American Cancer Society and their “Look Good, Feel Better” program.

“I hope that one day I can work the American Cancer Society to speak out and help make a difference. I would feel accomplished in life just knowing that I was able to help and make a difference in just one person’s life.”

Her long term goals are heavy, but most importantly, Madi wants to simply be happy with herself.

“As long as I am able to wake up in the morning and like who I see in the mirror, I’ll feel like I’ve completed my life goal.”

With all that Madi is involved in, we have to wonder if she has any advice for other college students.

“Get involved! It will make or break your college experience. Your best friend could be sitting in that very first meeting, and you could be missing out. I don’t know who I would be in college if I hadn’t gotten involved.”

For more information on Relay for Life at Millersville, visit this website. 

For more information about Greek Life at Millersville, visit this website. 

*All images courtesy of Madi Stoutland

Jessica Moore

Millersville

I'm currently a junior at Millersville Unversity studying biology! I started at HC as a first semester freshman and have been with it ever since. Along with writing passionately for Her Campus, I am also a member of Alpha Sigma Tau.  My passions include reading, writing, animals, and food. In my spare time, I thoroughly enjoy binging netflix, reading a good book, and taking naps.  Instagram: @jessy_poo96 Twitter: @jessy_poo96
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3