This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

This past week, I registered for my final semester of classes – four classes to cover my last twelve credits and GRAD 999, graduation. Though graduation can be an exciting thought, I also find it terrifying. After graduation on May 7th, I step away from Millersville University and into the world. 

After I get my Bachelor’s degree, I plan to go to graduate school in hopes of getting a Master’s of Public Policy, but I know it will not be the same. I will no longer have the typical college life that comes along with undergraduate schooling – some of my classmates will be professionals who have worked in the field of policy for years, and my classmates and I will most likely have full-time jobs during our schooling.

More than being afraid of stepping into the adult world, I am scared of leaving my current world behind. Because of the large number of credits I entered college with because of AP courses, I will be graduating a year early. My friends will not. When I leave Millersville, their lives will keep going. It is hard to think about leaving my friends and my girlfriends behind because they will still be together. I will be the odd one out.

Despite all of this, I try to look forward to the future. I remind myself of all of the exciting things that come with graduating a year early. For one, I have one less year of tuition to pay! Other than that, I can move to Washington D.C. and delve deeper into the topics that truly interest me. With this new location, I will also have greater access to jobs and internships to further my career along. I’ll have a greater sense of freedom and be able to meet new friends. Above all, what I remind myself is that I will not lose the people in my life. I will still be able to visit my friends and my girlfriend whenever I want – these relationships do not have to end. As scary as a new start will be, I will be okay, so I look forward to the future.

HCXO, Riley

Riley Boike

Millersville '22

Hi! I'm Riley Boike, and I'm a senior at Millersville University. I'm a Government, Policy, and Law major with a double minor in History and International Studies. As a government major, I love following politics, but I also like music, coffee, reading, Netflix, and my pets.