This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Latinx is the non-binary term for a person who identifies as being of Latin American descent. Hispanic on the other hand typically refers to someone who is of Spanish speaking descent, not always from Latina America. The terms are often used interchangeably as well. There is a new term, but I am not sure yet how to use it. That being said, no matter the origin, there is a lot of controversy and hatred geared towards minority groups who are Spanish speakers. In today’s society, these groups face backlash from fellow Americans over their customs, language, culture and more. Families get separated daily from ICE. Becoming a citizen is hard. Obtaining a visa or green card is hard. With the administration in our country it is even harder. Sometimes it feels like America hates these groups and it is worse when Trump essentially hates immigrants.

I am a Hispanic in Trump’s America. I am a passing Hispanic. The term passing means that a person of color has skin light enough to pass for white, therefor they aren’t subject to the same amount of oppression as other people in their same group. There are times when I really look like a Hispanic, but there are times where I look very white. Compared to my own family, I am pretty light. I was born in the United States. My father was born in Puerto Rico and my mom was born in Ecuador. Many people in my life know that. When I was younger, on any type of document where you had to identify race, I would select white. I thought that since I was born in the US and my skin wasn’t dark, I was white. I didn’t know that I counted as Hispanic because I was born in the US. I was never told by my parents that Hispanic or Latino was the option I was supposed to pick. Today, I actively look for that option because I know that that is who I am and who I should identify as. But then came the argument “well are you Hispanic or are you Latina?” I am both. I am a descendant from Latina America, but I also am Spanish speaking. It took a lot of time for me to figure out the difference. It was almost as hard as deciding whether a lemon or a lime is called a limon. In the case of the dreaded limon, the words can be used interchangeably, and for me, Latina and Hispanic are the same.

Now back to the passing part. When it comes to the oppressions most Latinx people encounter, I have not had those issues. I look white enough to just be a regular girl with brown hair and brown eyes. The only things that really give me away are when I magically switch languages on occasion. People see me and they don’t know that I understand their Spanish. It’s not expected of me to be able to understand songs, dances or even recipes because I don’t look the part. I am not a flaming stereotype. There are stereotypes for every culture. I can’t say that I have ever experienced that. I can’t say that I have ever experienced someone telling me to “speak English in America” or to “go back to where I came from.” These are issues I won’t face because I am a lighter skinned Hispanic. It is a shame that others will face it still. Most immigrants have established themselves and their families. They came to the US for a better chance at life whether it was school or work. Those roots are being pulled up by a man who does not see their lives as valid.

In Trump’s America, Hispanics are treated like dirt. I can generalize that to any immigrant, but Hispanics are one of the groups suffering the most. When detained by ICE, they often lose touch with their families and don’t have the chance to provide paperwork. There is very little that can be done. It is a really difficult political climate to be active, safe, and vocal over the concerns facing Latinx people at the moment. Regardless, this group is heavily discriminated against and should be speaking up and speaking out.

Happy Hispanic Heritage Month!

HCXO, Cecilia

Cecilia Arvelo

Millersville '22

Cecilia is a Senior at Millersville University. She is a Secondary Education major concentrated in Social Studies. In her free time, she loves to read, watch movies, drive around and explore. She loves writing for Her Campus, being a part of Campus Trendsetters, and exploring all of Her Campus's opportunities.
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3