A Letter to My Roommates as We End the Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

This year has gone by way faster than any of us imagined. So, in the spirit of saying goodbye to my first year of college, I want to thank my freshman year roommates for contributing to my college experience, and even tell them how much I have learned from them. 

To my suitemates,

Although we didn’t live in the same room I always knew you guys were there, whether it was your music playing, the very loud laughing (sometimes too loud) or the slamming doors which gave away when you would come home from class or leave.

You both taught me how important it is to be the bigger person and learn to let things go. Although I imagined still being friends at the end of our first year together, we all know that didn’t exactly happen. Sometimes, people are just too different and that’s okay — I still appreciate the learning experience you guys gave me.

I hope you have learned some things from me too, the most important thing — which I don’t think you even know I know about — being that I have friends who hear the way you talk about people. I respect your opinion and, although I don’t agree with the way you view me, I hope your suitemates next year suit you better. 

I also hope the next four years bring you both everything you dreamed of. 

To my actual roommate,

Although we weren’t as close at the beginning of the year, you were my safety net. Having you room with me always made me feel safe and secure. I honestly don’t know what I’m going to do without you next year. I didn’t realize how little time we had left until I read an article which was addressed to the girls who will live in our dorm room. Immediately I sent it to you and felt this overwhelming sense of sadness. You have truly made my freshmen year one to remember and I couldn’t have asked for a better roommate. One of my favorite memories was when we played our homework game one night; you were a true friend and I can’t thank you enough for making sure I got through it.

I feel like once second semester started we got way closer, and I’m glad we did. You didnt spend much time in the room but I was happy to see you every once in a while to catch up on our lives or ask for fashion advice. 

I will truly miss you coming back into the room with new clothes or make up, excited to show me so we can both gush over everything. You once said to me it felt lonely in our room when you were alone and I agree; I’ve always been a very secluded person who liked to be alone but I liked having you by my side. You taught me how to communicate and how to work together with someone and, most importantly, how to share. I can’t wait to see how much you accomplish in the coming years here at Millersville. We will have to get lunch when we come back from summer break to catch up! Always remember I’m just a text or phone call away when you need someone or just want to gush about makeup and clothes.

Sincerely, Your old roommate 

*All images courtesy of Giphy

The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3