Lancaster City Secret: NuLife at Nimble Thimble

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Lancaster City is about to reveal a new concept in the Central Market Square! Nimble Thimble got a well-deserved rebrand thanks to NuLife and select Millersville University students. NuLife, a local Lancaster City nonprofit social enterprise, was founded in 2014 by Schirlyn Kamara.  Their mission is to provide employment for women who are in transition, limited or proficient with English, unemployed, or caught in the cycle of poverty or need a new start. 

In order to create an environment for women to work and learn new skills, NuLife has acquired Nimble Thimble Fabric Shop in Lancaster City. Acquiring Nimble Thimble allows NuLife’s mission of creating jobs and home business developmental opportunities in Lancaster’s Southeast community by offering training in up cycled alternatives to traditional home decor, jewelry and fashion as a way to reduce local waste.  This is where Millersville’s students come in the picture. Last semester, students taking advertising and marketing classes helped create a new look for NuLife. This included updating social media pages, creating a new website and spreading awareness about the organization. This semester, two classes of retail marketing and service learning combined to refresh NuLife at Nimble Thimble and helped kick-start the project.

Students from the service learning class helped clean, organize, and paint Nimble Thimble’s store. Students from the retail marketing class created new and improved social media outlets, organize fundraising campaigns, and assisted with merchandising Nimble Thimble. Throughout the semester, Nimble Thimble has gotten a new look that is already receiving attention. The main goal from these two classes is to help spread awareness about NuLife at Nimble Thimble. Informing the community about local non-profit organizations will help NuLife’s message spread across Lancaster.

NuLife at Nimble Thimble’s grand opening is scheduled to take place during May’s First Friday. The grand opening will include free food, live music, raffles, and sewing demonstrations. This is an amazing event to partake in, with a huge thank you to Millersville University’s students and their dedication with helping local organizations.

For more information, please visit Handz On Hope

Jordan Ettien

Millersville '17

A recent 2017 grad from Millersville University of Pennsylvania! I hold a bachelor's of science in business administration with a concentration in marketing! I am addicted to Starbucks, cute dogs and candles from Bath and Body Works! When I am not working as a Chapter Advisor for Her Campus or as a Marketing Manager for my full time job, you can find me at the gym teaching Pilates! 
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3