Interview with a Sorority Sister

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Have you ever thought about joining a sorority, but wasn’t sure of what it’s all about? To give you the inside scoop, Her Campus Millersville interviewed model sorority siter, Leah Fauth.

A graduating Senior and Business Administration and Management major, Leah has been a member of Alpha Sigma Tau, Beta lota Chapter for the past two years. As the current Ritual Chair for Alpha Sigma Tau, she shares with us the real reasons why college women should join a sorority and gives us a briefing on the Beta lota chapter.

1.) Why do you love being a part of this sorority?

I love the feeling of family and sisterhood we have in our sorority. I know that no matter what is going on I can always count on my sisters being there for me and supporting me. I know that my sisters will be some of my best friends not just while were in college but far beyond that. You truly build lifelong friendships joining a sorority. I also love meeting sisters from around the United States. Being in a national sorority like Alpha Sigma Tau means there are chapters all over in thousands of colleges. Our annual conventions are a great time to meet new sisters and to share great experiences being apart of Alpha Sigma Tau.

2.) What are your personal goals in regards to your involvement with this sorority?

I wanted to gain a sense of leadership inside and outside the sorority. I also wanted to get more involved on campus and in the community and really give back to our community as a whole. And I wanted to show everyone that sororities do more on campus than party.

3.) What are your favorite sorority activities, fundraisers, or events?

I love our sister bonding events where we all get together and make crafts or watch movies or just hang out. We have family luncheons where sister’s family members come and we get to learn more about them and their family. Alpha Sigma Tau also participates in Adopt-a-Highway where we clean a portion of a road to make the community more beautiful than it already is. Two years ago, we also started a fundraiser called Project Prom where we collect gently used prom dresses and suits, ties, etc. and donate them to the local high school so that students can still enjoy prom without having to worry about the costs. It feels so amazing when we go every year and see the look on everyone’s faces and how grateful they are. Greek Week is another great event that all Greek life on campus participates in. We have powder-puff football, eating contests, fundraising contests, Greek god and goddess competitions and much more. It’s a great time to have a little fun and be a little competitive with the other Greek organizations on campus.

4.) Why should others get involved in this sorority?

It is a great way to branch out and meet new people. I know that when I’m walking around campus or when I’m in class I’ll see one of my sisters and it makes it feel more “homey” and a part of something more on a campus this size. Being in Alpha Sigma Tau also helps with your grades because I know if I’m having trouble in a class, an older sister can help me through it because they’ve probably taken that course or something similar. It also helps when you graduate and move into the “real world” because employers see how active you are and the volunteer work you do by being in a sorority. It teaches you so many skills and lessons that you may or may not have learned just by joining a sorority. You really build a sense of family with everyone in Greek Life not just in your own sorority.  It’s also a great way to get involved with giving back to the campus and surrounding community

5.) What is the general mission of Alpha Sigma Tau?

To be active, self-reliant, and trustworthy; to promote the ethical, cultural, and social development of its members. Alpha Sigma Tau wants to teach its members how to be a well-rounded individual who get involved more and are more active, whether it’s on her campus, in her job, etc. We also want them to be independent, to rely on their own judgments and skills. And lastly to be reliable, to mean what you say and keep the promises you make to yourself and the people around you.

6.) What are your duties as Ritual Chair?

I am responsible for the set up for some of our most sentimental events that we do. In the past I was a part of the Panhellenic Council at Millersville, where a representative from each sorority met and discussed ways we all could help the community and to build Greek Life on campus as a whole

7.) Are there any exclusions or requirements for becoming a member of the sorority?

By Millersville’s standards you must have 12 credits completed before you can join a sorority, so a second semester freshman, and for Alpha Sigma Tau you must have a 2.5 GPA.

8.) What, if any, difficulties do you encounter while juggling, school, homework, work, your sorority, and any other engagements at the same time?

It was difficult at first to juggle being a full time student, an active member of Alpha Sigma Tau, and work part time but what is great about being in a sorority is that it really teaches you time management. Alpha Sigma Tau has set aside time each week purposefully to get our homework/classwork done which has helped me greatly on focusing what is most important which is school. I can get all of my work done, work part time, participate in all of my sorority’s events and still have time to hang out with friends outside of Greek Life or in another organization and relax.

9.) What do you want to do when you graduate/What kind of employment are you seeking?

I would love to become a Human Resource Manager in a large company. I love working with people and planning events and being in HR would let me do both. Being a sorority has helped me in many ways by teaching me new skills every day and by overcoming many of my fears like speaking in front of a large group and people and speaking more confidently which I know will help me in my career. 

Elyse Brown

Millersville