This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

As much as people love to jump from Halloween to Christmas, I think that is a bad thing to do. Right between Halloween and Christmas is one of my favorite holidays, Thanksgiving. It is the best holiday not only because of the wonderful foods but also what it represents. The history of the first Thanksgiving may be a little far fetched but it still has a meaning that is deeper than it represents. 

According to History.com, nearly all of what historians know about the first Thanksgiving comes from a single eyewitness letter in 1621. It was not known as Thanksgiving and likely did not happen on the fourth Thursday in November as we traditionally have it now. The time was unknown, and it was known as a harvest feast. The Plymouth colony was in fact celebrating the fact that they had actually survived their first year and there was diplomatic relations with the Native American Wampanoag Tribe. In both cultures, the idea of giving thanks for life and for the harvest was important. Thanksgiving Day was later declared a national holiday by President Lincoln in a bid to mend the country during a time of civil unrest and give thanks for the lives lost and the bravery of all involved.

photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

Thanksgiving, in my view, the most sentimental holiday. It is more important than Christmas gifts, birthday parties, or New Year’s shenanigans. Despite the greed of Black Friday, holiday deals and commercial shopping that follows Thanksgiving, it is not about stuff. No other holiday is more important than Thanksgiving and here is why.

First of all, it is a time to give thanks. Whether that is for your life or things you have received this year, it is a time to show your gratitude. Friendsgiving is a similar role for friends to gather together for the same reason, to show your appreciation for each other. In my first Friendsgiving, we all went around and shared what we were grateful for about our friend group. With this having been a very difficult time in my life, I got choked up when it came to be my turn and I shared my gratitude for everyone’s support. My family and I no longer have large Thanksgivings, but rather we join my godparents and their family. They have been with us since my mom was 18, so we consider them our family. We begin our dinner by holding hands and saying a prayer together. It is a small dinner together, but it is delicious and sentimental.

Secondly, Thanksgiving has better traditions than Christmas. The Macy’s Parade is pretty cool and I’m sure spectacular to watch in person. Regardless, it looks great on tv too. I like the entertainment aspects of it. Additionally, if you are like me, your family might have a habit of playing or watching football. I have no clue where this tradition comes from, but it’s fun. If it isn’t too cold out, we go outside to play some ball. If it is a particularly cold year, we will shoot some pool but still watch football. It is a fun and competitive aspect that adds another level of love and bonding with each other,

Lastly, Thanksgiving is a day to remember. In November, there are a few days of remembrance. Dia De Los Muertos starts the month off. It is a Spanish holiday of remembrance for family members who have left us. It is a deeply spiritual and ancestral holiday practiced around the world. Secondly, Veterans Day happen on the 11th day of November as a way to remember and honor veterans for all that they have done for their country and during their time of military service. Thanksgiving acts as another day to provide people a day of remembrance. In my case, this will be my first Thanksgiving since my father passed, but I will give thanks for the last months I spent with him and the fact that our relationship healed over time. I give thanks for the life he lived and the love he had for my mother and my brother and me. Though he and other members of my family are no longer with us, I give thanks for their time on this earth and hope that their lives in heaven are just as good.

holiday dinner buffet at home
Photo by Craig Adderley from Pexels

All in all, Thanksgiving is a better holiday than any other in the US. It is slept on and underappreciated. People can call me out, but I won’t play Christmas music or even think about it until Thanksgiving is over. Christmas will have it’s time to be celebrated, but it should not overshadow more meaningful celebrations. Black Friday should be canceled and needs to stop because it is a terrible thing filled with greed and desire for unnecessary material things. This year on Thanksgiving, I challenge you to tell all the people in your life that you are thankful for them and truly show them you mean it. We should not have that reminder one day a year, but it is good to get a reminder.

Give Thanks

HCXO, Cecilia

All photos by author

Cecilia Arvelo

Millersville '22

Cecilia is a Senior at Millersville University. She is a Secondary Education major concentrated in Social Studies. In her free time, she loves to read, watch movies, drive around and explore. She loves writing for Her Campus, being a part of Campus Trendsetters, and exploring all of Her Campus's opportunities.