I Visited The National Museum of African American History and Culture and You Should Too!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

I visited The National Museum of African American History and Culture in Washing D.C and you should too. My family decided to take the four hour drive to D.C to visit one of the newest and most popular museums within the Smithsonian Museums and it was pretty darn cool. The way it is laid out is chronologically so you start on the lowest floor with artifacts and information about slavery. Then move all they way to the 8th floor, which highlights the election of President Obama. It was pretty surreal to see some of these artifacts, there were real shackles and whips that sent chills down my back and powerful quotes throughout.                                                                                                                            

The museum went on to go through African American history and a really cool section was the black feminist movement. It displayed information on the movement of appropriation against black women. It highlighted appreciation of black hair and the pay gap that are still problems today.

We continued to walk through the eight floors of the museum, one of the things I’d like to note was the diversity of people who visited. It wasn’t just black people learning about our history but it was everyone learning about this part of history that affects everyone. Seeing all types of people was beautiful! If you ever have a chance to visit please do so and don’t miss out on this powerful museum

Alanna Moore

Mville '22

Hi I'm Alanna I graduate in 2022 and i'm a OSEH major
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3