I Switched To The Menstrual Cup And You Should Too

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

I am like every girl on the planet – I get my period and it sucks. What sucks even more is paying a lot for tampons and pads that are ruining the planet. For years this problem has been avoidable, but time is the darndest thing. The menstrual cup is the answer to all your period problems (well almost all. It won’t stop the horrific pains from cramps or scare away your crabby attitude.) But switching to the cup has changed my life.

Here’s why:

1. They’re WAY better for the environment

The waste produced from tampons is unbelievable. While they are made of a recyclable material, they cannot be recycled because they become a biohazard after being used. Think of how many tampons you use in a year. Ever women on earth probably uses the same amount or more. That’s too much waste.

2. They are less expensive.

A good cup is about $30-$40, but a box of tampons can cost $7-$20. Now, I’m bad at math, but it seems that in the long run, the cup is going to save you a lot of money.

3. They last longer than tampons.

Tampons have to be changed every six hours, but the cup can stay in for up to 12. That’s right ladies, you only have to change it once a day!

4. One cup will last you 10 years.

While tampons are a one-and-done deal, you can use the cup for up to 10 years! That’s money in your pocket.

5. They’re actually better for your health.

The cup decreases your chances of getting Toxic-Shock Syndrome, a bacteria-spurred illness that can be fatal. Also, the cotton in tampons can strip your vaginal walls of natural lining, which can dry you out and cause a variety of health issues.

6. They are just as comfy as tampons, without all the stress of a tampon.

The first time you try it, it’s going to be a bit hard to figure out. But after a few tries, you’ll wonder why you were wasting all this time on cotton sticks and plastic applicators that only last you six hours.

Point is they make periods suck a little less. Just switch.

Best rated Cups On Amazon:

1. The Lena Cup

2. Lunette

3. The Diva Cup

*All images courtesy of Giphy.com

Carlee Nilphai

Millersville '19

Carlee is a Millersville University graduate with a BA in Print Journalism and a double minor in Music and Theatre. Her favorite topics to write about involve career, environmental issues, pop culture, budgeting hacks, and Taylor Swift. Carlee lives in Lancaster, PA and has a corgi named Alan.
Jordan Ettien

Millersville '17

A recent 2017 grad from Millersville University of Pennsylvania! I hold a bachelor's of science in business administration with a concentration in marketing! I am addicted to Starbucks, cute dogs and candles from Bath and Body Works! When I am not working as a Chapter Advisor for Her Campus or as a Marketing Manager for my full time job, you can find me at the gym teaching Pilates!