This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

In general, thrifting is a great way to help the environment and save money. Thrifted transformations have taken over the YouTube world. Transforming your thrifted clothes is a great way to upcycle clothes and have unique, one-of-a-kind pieces in your wardrobe! The following are some ways you can customize your thrifted clothes.

Embroider Your Jeans

Buy some cute jeans, shorts, or really anything and get crafty. You can go to your local craft store and buy embroidery needles and thread, create cute designs or phrases into ay piece of clothing. Lately, embroidered jeans and shoes have become popular. Save some money and do it yourself!

Turn Your Shorts Into a Skirt

All you need are pants, thread, scissors, and a sewing machine. First, you’re going to cut up the hem in the leg all the way up to the crotch. Make sure the nicer side is on top. Then, place one of the sides down with the other on top. These pieces need to overlap. After, all you need to do it sew it in place down the leg seem. This process works best with pants that are a little oversized! Check out this article for more detailed instructions. 

Make a Crop Top

This one is pretty easy. You can take any shirt and make it into a crop top! Start by putting the short on and marking where you want to crop it with pins, tape, or washable marker. This way you can make sure you crop it exactly where you want to. Then, simply cut! Be careful because your shirt will have a raw hem line and might unravel. If you want to prevent this, just re-hem the shirt. You can find a tutorial to hem something here.

Go out and thrift! Use your knowledge to create something beuatiful and unique to your taste.

Jenna Case

Millersville '20

Hello! I'm Jenna, I am an Applied Engineering major from Harrisburg, PA. I love to spend time with my family, and write! In my free time, I can usually be found watching Netflix or bullet journaling. For more about me, you can follow me on my Instagram @jennaccase
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3