How To Prepare Your Own Emergency Kit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Having an emergency kit in your house, dorm room or apartment is key to being prepared for any disaster that you may encounter. A lot of households do not have an up-to-date emergency kit. It’s important to always have working and useful supplies for any emergency you may encounter. According to the American Red Cross, there is a list of items you should have at a minimum in your emergency kit:

• Water: one gallon per person, per day (3-day supply for evacuation, 2-week supply for home)
  • Food: non-perishable, easy-to-prepare items (3-day supply for evacuation, 2-week supply for home).
  • Flashlight 
  • Battery-powered or hand-crank radio (NOAA Weather Radio, if possible) 
  • Extra batteries
  • First aid kit 
  • Medications (7-day supply) and medical items
  • Multi-purpose tool
  • Sanitation and personal hygiene items
  • Copies of personal documents (medication list and pertinent medical information, proof of address, deed/lease to home, passports, birth certificates, insurance policies)
  • Cell phone with chargers
  • Family and emergency contact information
  • Extra cash
  • Emergency blanket 
  • Map(s) of the area
  • Manual can opener
  • Pet supplies (collar, leash, ID, food, carrier, bowl)
  • Rain gear

The list looks long, but these items are essential in case there is a need for evacuation or emergency situation where you cannot leave your home. Being prepared for the worst possible situation will ensure that you and other members of your household will be well equipped with the proper necessities to stay alive. 

Jordan Ettien

Millersville '17

A recent 2017 grad from Millersville University of Pennsylvania! I hold a bachelor's of science in business administration with a concentration in marketing! I am addicted to Starbucks, cute dogs and candles from Bath and Body Works! When I am not working as a Chapter Advisor for Her Campus or as a Marketing Manager for my full time job, you can find me at the gym teaching Pilates!