diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Maintain your Faith in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

How to Maintain your Faith during College

What is faith? Faith is known as a decision; allowing yourself to change for God; letting him guide your life.

Over the past two years, I have been struggling to find my spiritual self across campus. Coming to college and maintaining your faith is hard. Luckily for you, I found five ways to help you maintain your faith throughout your college years.

Tip #1: Surround yourself with friends & family who will support you and your beliefs.

To me, this tip is the most important. When I first came to Millersville, I was ashamed and embarrassed of my faith. I lost myself, and I pushed God to the back of my mind. I didn’t go to church, I didn’t talk to anyone about God and how he can make such a great difference in our lives. He was like an old, dusty toy sitting on a shelf. In the fall semester of my sophomore year, I found friends who supported me, who went to bible study with me, and asked me questions about my faith. To me, this helped me grow closer to God and it has changed my friends’ life for the better as well.

Tip #2: Find a bible study or group that you really enjoy!

This year, I was lucky enough to find FCA, also known as Fellowship of Christian Athletes. This group meets once a week and talks about different passages in the bible. Everyone in this group is so loving, caring, and passionate about their faith. I feel supported and loved. Through FCA, I am now in a smaller bible study with my friends. Having a group to go to every week is amazing! There are many organizations across campus that focus on religion. I highly recommend checking it out!

Tip #3: Social media.

I know, I know. This tip might seem a little bit odd. But through Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest, I’ve found many accounts that are incredible! They give suggestions, bible verses, and advice about faith. One of my favorite accounts to follow is Soul Scripts. Since social media is very popular, this is a great way to learn more about your faith while not doing things that are too far out of reach. You can also use social media to share your stories about your journey through faith.

Tip #4: Find a church that you enjoy!

This is another big tip that I can’t stress the importance of. There are a variety different churches around campus and around the Millersville area! I go to a church in Millersville with the leaders of FCA. The community there is amazing! I am used to going to a traditional church service when I am at home, but this church is something different. When it comes to going to church, I highly suggest going to different churches and seeing which one best fits you!

Tip #5: Set up a schedule and stick with it!!

This tip is one of my favorites! When I first got involved with FCA, I needed to find time in my day to sit down, and worship God. At first, this was difficult for me. As I continued to do it though, it became a part of my daily routine. Once you got your schedule down, it becomes less stressful and it is the new norm. * Extra Tip * It’s hard to stick to a schedule sometimes. I know, I am a college student. But finding a time out of your day is so worth it. When you feel like watching Netflix instead of spending time with God, put down your computer and go somewhere to spend time with him. It will make your day better!

I really hope these tips help you out! Thanks for reading!

HCXO, Sammi

All pictures are from giphy.com 

Samantha Loy

Millersville

The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3