This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

As someone who works in retail, I totally get it when it comes to holiday shopping: no one likes it. That being said, retail employees don’t love it either. We don’t like the lines, being yelled at because we can’t order an item, and all around dislike the attitudes that come with grumpy shoppers. Here are some tips though to make your Christmas shopping easier while also making you be a good person in general!

If you need an item and we don’t have it in your size, politely ask!

Most of the time if you just nicely ask us we will even call other stores to find you your items! But if you’re rude and mean, chances are I’m going to tell you it’s completely sold out.

Bring in a picture if you know exactly what your great aunt Martha wants

Please don’t vaguely describe to us a sweater that we had 3 months ago and then get angry at us when we can’t find it. We have so many red sweaters that after a while they’re all the same red sweater. If you know exactly what you want, show us on the website. It’s really not hard, seeing as most of you have smartphones.

Pay attention to store hours!

We totally understand that sometimes shopping just gets away from you and you need to grab something last minute. It happens. But please pay attention to when stores close. If we close at 5 and we have repeatedly told you we’re closed, please don’t continue to shop around. Chances are we’re actually going to get in trouble if you stay and don’t actually buy anything. We also would like to go home. 

Understand that sometimes the registers malfunction

And always at the most inconvenient times, like a Saturday afternoon. Trust me, we hate it as much as you do and don’t like being on hold with IT for over 20 minutes. If you’re in a rush and know you can come back later, please just ask us to put it on hold for you. Most stores have a 24-hour hold times and I can promise your item will be there when you come back, and chances are our registers will be working again.

Use your inside voice when shopping with other people

Nothing confuses retail workers more than you shouting in the store for other people or about an item. We probably think someone is hurt or that someone is causing a scene. If anything, ask one of us if we can get the lady all the way across the store in the corner. And really, why are you shouting indoors anyways?

If you have coupons and know you’re coming to shop in the store, BRING THEM!

I’m sorry to say but most of the time if you don’t have your coupons with you and give us the “I had a coupon but left it at home” line, we aren’t going to honor it. It’s against our company policy and we can get in a lot of trouble if we bypass the register systems to get you that 10% off one item. If you really want that discount, most stores will honor a discount if you sign up for a free rewards system or get a credit card with the store, especially if you’re a regular.

Above everything, please just be nice to retail employees

We get just as stressed out as you during the holidays, especially on busy weekends, and being mean to us doesn’t make it any easier. We just want to be your Christmas shopping buddies. We’re sorry for inconveniences but we will always try our best to get you the items you need. And remember, the nicer and more understanding you are, the more likely you are to get the last houndstooth vest in the entire company.

*All images courtesy of Giphy

Ashley Haywood

Millersville

I'm a senior English major with a focus in writing studies and I hope to someday write for a publication within in Lancaster area. I drink more coffee than I probably should, my cat is my baby, and I'm obsessed with my planner. You'll always find me on campus in the library with a cup of coffee in hand! 
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3