Harry Styles Has a New Single and I’m Still Not Over It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you at least know that Harry Styles dropped a new single recently called Lights Up. I’ve been a fan of One Direction since I was 12 and I am now almost 20 years old, so clearly my love will never die. I was a Harry girl myself, so when I found out that he was coming out with a new single, there was a plethora of emotions. So, let’s talk about the masterpiece that is Lights Up, shall we? 

This song has a very dreamy essence to it, and I think the music video really matches that. It’s pretty different from the songs on his first self-titled album, but at the same time it’s still very Harry. The parallels between the music video for Lights Up and Sign of the Times is actually interesting. It shows that this is going to be a new era for Harry and we are living for it! In the Lights Up video, you see Harry in this body of water with a red light shining on him, which was basically the cover art Sign of the Times. I will say it’s a little cryptic, but it’s art and we love it! 

I also want to touch on a key lyric in this song: “Do you know who you are?” This honestly made me question myself because we don’t really know who we are and we’re constantly figuring ourselves out. So is he! We love a relatable king. He also used this line to promote the song before it even came out with posters and a website (doyouknowwhoyouare.com) where you insert your name and he basically tells you who you are.  

To me, Lights Up feels like he’s really grown up and I’ve grown up with him. I was in a totally different place when his first album came out. I was just ending my junior year of high school, and thankfully I am not who I was almost three years ago. I’m not only excited for his new era, but mine too. Give Lights Up a listen and watch the music video too, I promise your life will change. 

HCXO,

Brianna

All Images Courtesy of Google Images and Giphy

The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3