This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Last year I was able to live on-campus at Millersville. I enjoyed it and I loved venturing out into Lancaster to find cute little places to explore and spend my time at. I have compiled a list of places that I think are worth checking out if you are venturing in the Lancaster area. There are 3 categories: small businesses, food, and fun. I hope you find some places to add to your travel list!

Small Businesses

1. Eve’s Garden

This cute outdoor shop is located only five minutes from Millersville campus! They sell seasonal items. For fall, they will have pumpkins galore and the absolute cutest fall decorations. Last year, my roommate and I filled our dorm with her merchandise all-year, and loaded up on about a dozen pumpkins for our tiny dorm. The owner is the sweetest lady and truly makes the shopping wonderful there. I recommend checking there for flowers and cute succulents too, she has literally everything. 

https://www.facebook.com/people/Eves-Garden-Garden-Center-Gift-Shop/100063573312220/

Picture of eve\'s garden local business in Lancaster
Original photo by Madi Glatfelter
  1. Tempting Treats

This bakery is a must-stop in Lampeter. It is about 15 minutes from campus and holds some of the best baked goods and tasty treats. The place lives up to its name and you can find their fresh creations of the day on their Instagram. I personally loved the donuts, cupcakes, and cheesecake!

1. Central Market Flowers

I have stopped at this flower store every time I am in the city or visiting Lancaster Central Market. They have the most beautiful flowers, including dried ones, that are perfect for decorating your dorm or apartment! I even found the cutest shirt there to take photos with when showing off my new flower bouquet. 

Picture of central market flowers
Original photo by Madi Glatfelter

Food

1. Lancaster Central Market House

This place is perfect to stop on your lunch break. You can get to know local vendors and purchase high-quality goods from small businesses. They have delicious food ready to eat or fresh produce and meats to take home with you. I found some beautiful flowers there as well as some candy and soup the last time I stopped by. 

2. Lancaster Cupcake

This cupcake shop is quite literally heaven on earth. I would kill to try any of the cupcakes they offer. Baked fresh daily, this place has a large assortment of flavors including chocolate peanut butter, cookies and cream, birthday cake, and so many others. I am drooling right now just thinking about it. Totally worth the price to enjoy these scrumptious treats. Also, it is a very cute stop for a photo!

Picture of Lancaster cupcake in Lancaster
Original photo by Madi Glatfelter

3. Square Mile Public House

This place is only 10 minutes from campus and the food I have had there is delicious. My usual is an order of crab dip with a side of french fries. Sometimes, I also add an appetizer of mozzarella wheels. This place has lots of TVs for sports lovers and is a great place to meet friends for a quick bite. The food is pretty cheap for munching on a budget!

Picture of Square mile public house food
Original photo by Madi Glatfelter

Fun

1. Decades Bowling and Play

This place is a fun time for any person. There is bowling lanes to go and enjoy an hour or two on the lanes as well as a retro arcade to play in. The food has had excellent reviews that you don’t want to miss either

1. Conestoga House and Gardens

This estate is absolutely beautiful and a great place to go for a date, a picnic, or just take a walking tour of the property! They hold private events some days but their public hours are Tues, Wed, and Thurs. 12-7pm.

https://conestogahouse.com

1. Bird-In-Hand//Lancaster Balloon Festival

This venue is loaded with things to do. It is the same venue where the Lancaster Balloon Festival is held as well as other big events. There is a free petting zoo and a pond where you can feed the ducks. In addition, you’ll find a store, restaurant, and mini golf there for you to enjoy. The Lancaster Balloon Festival event happens in September/October every year. It is so amazing to watch the hot air balloons launch. You can take private balloon rides for an added cost or you can simply enjoy the vendors and camp out to watch the light show at the end of the night. 

Photo from the Lancaster County balloon festival
Original photo by Madi Glatfelter
Lancaster balloon festival
Original photo by Madi Glatfelter

I personally recommend all of these places to you and I hope you enjoy them as much as I have. Good luck and safe travels in Lancaster!

HCXO,

Madi

Madison Glatfelter

Millersville '24

Madi is a senior at Millersville majoring in Elementary Education with a minor in General English. Some of her hobbies include playing volleyball, nannying for families, and participating in ECHO and KDP on campus. Madi is passionate about school-work-life balance, relationships, organization, self-care, and life/school hacks.