This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

The current trend of sustainability is excellent. The idea of sustainability is floating around much more than it has been in the past, and companies are making changes to turn to more sustainable methods of production, shipping, and more. However, it’s really easy to fall into the commercialized idea of sustainability. Several Instagram pages I’ve seen seem to say, “You need to buy all these new things to be sustainable,” regardless of what you already may have at home. But think- if I buy new deodorant right away that is sustainable, am I just going to throw out my old deodorant, where it may head to the landfill, still adding to the problems on Earth? This article will tell you some ideas for ways to reuse household items so that you are more sustainable in your living! Some ideas are practical, while some are more creative and fun. Enjoy!

Paint Bottles

As seen here, you can easily grab some paint and repaint plastic or glass bottles. Use these bottles as vases for flowers or DIY home decor to give these items a new life and purpose in your home. If you have a few bottles, you can paint one letter on each of them and line them up to spell out a word. Words like “home” or “love” would be super cute! If you don’t have paint available to you, you can also turn bottles into containers for pasta, olive oil, etc. Just make sure to clean out the bottles before putting anything in them. 

Create Signs out of Cardboard Boxes

Before going to throw out cardboard boxes, check out this idea! You can use cardboard from boxes to create DIY home decor signs. Check out a tutorial here on how to make a fake distressed sign. These signs could be put in your kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, etc. Just be sure that they are out of the way from possible contact with water or any other liquids that may get splashed, especially in the kitchen. If you want more ideas for what to do with cardboard, check out Erika’s article here!

Candle Jar Organizers

If you’re a fan of candles, this one is for you! Candle jars can be reused in so many ways. Similar to bottles, candle jars can be used to hold washi tape, pencils, highlighters, and other things on your desk. Tie a ribbon around the jars to give them a little flair. You can also give new life to a candle jar by using it as a planter for plants! If you do that, be sure to put some rocks at the bottom before putting soil into the jar to allow drainage of water. Here are some more ideas!

Toothbrushes as Cleaning Tools

I know, it seems cliche, but hey! Toothbrush handles take a very long time to decompose in landfills. Once it’s time to get a new toothbrush, you can begin using your old toothbrush as a cleaning brush to clean your shower, sink, bathtub, etc. Due to their size, toothbrushes are perfect for those small areas that are hard to clean. 

Remember, sustainability can be simple. You don’t need to buy brand new things when you already have things at home. Reusing items instead of throwing them out can be a big first step in reducing waste and living more sustainably.

HCXO, Hannah N

Hannah Newman

Millersville '20

Hannah Newman is a senior at Millersville University, studying Early Childhood Education with an integrative STEM methods minor. She has been writing for Her Campus for over two years, and is loving being the president of such an awesome chapter.
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3