Four more years for President Obama

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

by Laura Maginley

The race for the presidency came to a close on Tuesday, November 6 with Barack Obama winning a prize of another four years in The White House.  Despite Tuesday’s arctic weather, Millersville University students were standing on street corners with signs that read, “Vote Today!”  Conversations consisted of “Did you vote?” instead of inquiring about candidate choice.  Just incase Millersville students didn’t get the message, an MU van equipped with red, white and blue balloons and the word “VOTE” on it drove around the crowded campus.

“But despite all our differences, mot of us share certain hopes for America’s future,” Obama explained in his speech in Chicago after his win.  He also expressed deep interest in sitting down with this opponent, Governor Mitt Romney, and discussing how to better steer America.  Just like on Millersville University’s campus, there was emphasis in Obama’s speech about voting- no matter what the choice.  “Whether you held an Obama sign or a Romney sign, you made your voice heard and you made a difference,” Obama stated.

In Boston, Romney (206 electoral votes) gave his concession speech after losing to Obama (303 electoral votes), in which he mentioned that he congratulated Obama via telephone.  “I wish all of them well, but particularly the president, the first lady, and their daughters. This is a time of great challenges for America, and I pray that the president will be successful in guiding our nation,” shared Romney.

Technology and social media played a huge part in the announcement of the winner, in addition to election updates.   The picture heard around the world was distributed via Twitter, which was of President Barack Obama hugging his wife and first lady of the United States, Michelle Obama.  In his speech, he shared “And I wouldn’t be the man I am today without the woman who agreed to marry me 20 years ago. Let me say this publicly. Michelle, I have never loved you more. I have never been prouder to watch the rest of America fall in love with you too as our nation’s first lady.”

Obama, the 44th president, will remain in office for an additional four years with Joe Biden, vice president, by his side.

Joie Formando

Millersville

Joie Formando is an English major at Millersville University, with a concentration in Writing Studies and a minor in journalism and music. She loves to write and cook (which is a work in progress) and is looking forward to "becoming a grown-up" post-graduation! She is the Arts and Culture Editor of MU's newspaper, The Snapper, and an active photographer-in-training. She can play a few chords on the guitar (but you'll never catch her singing for anyone) and her biggest dream is to move to London and work for a children's book publishing company.