Four Girlbosses You Need to Check Out (who also happen to be African American)!!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Black History Month is a nice time to think and reflect about all of the wonderful African American women who have contributed many different things to our society! There are many women who I could choose to feature, so below are just the tip of the iceberg of all of the fabulous African American women out there! Take some time to think about the incredible African American women you have in your life.

Simone Biles-Olympian

Let’s just all take a moment to recognize how incredible this young lady truly is. She won five medals total at her FIRST Olympic games and she has used her platform to spread important messages to the world. She recently opened up about her sexual abuse from Dr. Larry Nasser and I could not be prouder of her for her courage and grace during the entire situation. If you are not familiar with Simone Biles, I highly suggest you check her out! Here is a picture with me and the queen herself!!

Michelle Obama-First Lady

Our former First Lady is someone to definitely mention in my article! She truly embodies what it is to be a woman in charge and we all saw that in her eight years in the White House. She earned two degrees at both Princeton University and Harvard University, which is incredibly impressive to me! During her time as First Lady she advocated for schools, health, and volunteered at many different organizations, something we should all do! I appreciate Michelle Obama because she used her platform to better our society and help to make the world a better place. Way to go Michelle!

Viola Davis-Actress

If you have ever watched How to Get Away with Murder, you know exactly who I am talking about! She is such a powerful actress who has the ability to convey strong emotion in her script. She was the first African American woman to receive three Academy Award nominations and win one!! Davis’s early life was off to a rocky start in an African American family who was often judged by her race. Her success now proves to women everywhere that you can achieve greatness.

Oprah Winfrey- Spokeswoman

Oprah is truly a woman who embodies philanthropy and doing good for others. She is someone I definitely aspire to be like, and you should too! Oprah does a lot of work for people in need, specifically in the fields of education and health. She even had three different charities called: The Oprah Winfrey Foundation, Oprah Winfrey’s Angel Network and The Oprah Winfrey Operating Foundation. How crazy awesome is that?!?

I hope that you all look into these fabulous ladies a little more to learn even more about the amazing work they are doing!!

HCXO,

Lexie

*All images courtesy of Google

Lexie Sites

Millersville '20

Hi! My name is Lexie Sites and I am a Early Childhood Education major with a STEM minor! HerCampus has allowed me to push my comfort zone, so I hope you enjoy reading my articles! HCXO, Lexie
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3