This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Women’s History Month is the month of March and is dedicated to the remembrance of all the things women have accomplished and empower them to do more. Though throughout history, many women, especially women of color have been left behind or forgotten. Well here’s what I have to say about that. Ohana. Nobody gets left behind or forgotten. I want to highlight women of color is different racial/ethnic communities that are not well known but deserve all the recognition for their achievements. 

Ellen Ochoa (1958-Present)

Ellen Ochoa was the first Hispanic woman to go to space. She was also one of NASA’s first female directors and the first Hispanic director. She is of Mexican descent and graduted from San Diego Univeristy in 1980 and then went to Standford University for her Master’s and PHD in Electrical Engineering. She had an amazing career in space, logging nearly 1,000 hours in space. As the first Hispanic woman in space, she was a part of the nine-day Discovery shuttle mission. Today she serves on the National Science Board as a chair member.

Wilma Mankiller (1945-2010)

Wilma Mankiller was the first Chief of the Cherokee Nation. She started her activism for Native Americans at a young age. What particularly got her involved was Alcatraz Island in California. From there, her involvement for Native rights grew. She moved back to Oklahoma and onto the Cherokee Reservation, but was soon met with personal loss. She was in a car accident that seriously injured her and took the life of her friend. The following year, she was diagnosed with myasthenia gravis, a chronic neuromuscular disease. However, these setbacks did not stop her. She worked her way up and eventually became the first female Chief of the largest tribe in the United States for 10 years. She was given a Medal of Freedom by President Clinton for her efforts. In 2010, she died of Pancreatic cancer, but her legacy lives forever for Native Americans.

Linda Sarsour (1980-Present)

Linda Sarsour is an American Muslim of Palestinian descent. She is a previous co-chair of the 2017 and 2019 Women’s March and 2017 Day Without a Woman. She is an activist for women’s rights, Black Lives Matter, and Palestinian rights. She has been praised for shattering sterotypes for Muslim women. Although some of her work has been controversial, her foundation is solid as a guiding light for many causes.

Audre Lorde (1934–1992)

Audrey Lorde described herself as a “black, lesbian, mother, warrior, poet” while dedicating her life to fighting injustices about rascism, sexism and homophobia while being an artist. Lorde worked in the public sector most of her life as a teacher and as a library in her early years. Much of her published poetry surrounds the things that she faced in her everyday life as a black, LGBT woman. Her poetry shows her powerful calls to action for social reform.

Grace Lee Boggs (1915-2015)

Grace Lee Boggs was a Chinese American philosopher, author and activist. She was a revolutionary living in Detroit. Her husband, James Boggs was also a prominent activist. Together they founded the National Organization for American Revolution. The Boggs Center in Detroit was founded by them to be a place for organization of grassroots efforts, community projects and social activism. Grace Boggs was influenced by many philosophers and thinkers during her life and her activism reflected it.

Every month seems to be a celebration or remembrance of a new cause or group of people. March is Colorectal Cancer Awareness month, but it is also Women’s History Month. Though Black History, Hispanic Heratige, Asian/Pacific Islander and Pride month recognize different groups of diverse people, Women’s History month is one that all groups can come together and participate in regardless of race, gender idenity, sexuality or religion. To recognize the feats of women and women of color is a wonderful act in iself. Women have historically been marginalized against, but for the month of March, we get the spotlight. One day, that spotlight will never stop shining.

“The question isn’t who’s going to let me, it’s who’s going to stop me?”

HCXO, Cecilia

The golden girls hugging eachother
Giphy

Cecilia Arvelo

Millersville '22

Cecilia is a Senior at Millersville University. She is a Secondary Education major concentrated in Social Studies. In her free time, she loves to read, watch movies, drive around and explore. She loves writing for Her Campus, being a part of Campus Trendsetters, and exploring all of Her Campus's opportunities.
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3