Medicine cabinet packed full of skincare products
Megan Charles / Her Campus Media
Wellness > Health

Find Your Sunscreen Soulmate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Me to my favorite sunscreen:

Spring is just around the corner, and so are the days filled with renewing our energy in the sun. Nothing makes me feel grounded like spending hours outside and hiking around trails close to me. 

For me, fully enjoying my time outdoors includes protecting my skin. It brings me peace of mind to know that products exist that can keep our skin guarded from the damage that the sun can cause. 

Skin cancer is one of the most common types of cancer diagnosed in young people (20-39 years old), according to the American Cancer Society. Melanoma is one type of skin cancer that occurs when pigment producing cells, known as melanocytes, multiply too rapidly. 

It’s essential for us to understand that protecting our skin barrier is one simple way to prevent the development of skin cancer. We have multiple layers to our skin, starting with the epidermis, which protects us from the harmful effects of the environment around us. 

One of the best ways to care for our skin that works hard to shield us from harmful environmental effects is utilizing sunscreen!

Some quick terminology for your information:

SPF: Sun Protection Factor, which measures the amount of ultraviolet rays which damage the skin) the sunscreen protects you from 

UVB: The kind of ultraviolet ray that SPF measures 

UVA: The kind of ultraviolet ray that makes up the majority of sunlight 

Broad Spectrum: Describes a sunscreen that fights UVA and UVB damage 

Noncomedogenic: A cosmetic product specifically made with the goal to not clog pores 

This website has a good chart describing the different UV rays and their effects. 

Here are a few suggestions to get you started on having a golden summer:

1. Supergoop! Sunscreen

I love this brand, which one of my best friends recommended to me. I have tried their Unseen Sunscreen with SPF 40, which I would recommend to just about anyone. It is a clear, gel-like sunscreen that glides on your skin and acts as a great skin primer as well. You can knock out your makeup primer step and stay safe from the sun!  

The other thing(s) I love about this brand are the following:

• Cruelty free ingredients/no animal testing 
  • Reef safe 
  • Scentless (I truly can’t stand the smell of sunscreen)
  • All products have a lengthy description of their ingredients, so you know exactly what’s in the bottle

2. Black Girl Sunscreen

This brand recently got their patent approval and “was created by a Black woman with a diverse team that will always put customers first,” as described on their website. Shontay Lundy founded the company in 2016. 

Their website also provides an important piece of information that “Black people have a lower survival rate [relating to melanoma] due to late diagnosis compared to other races.” 

Everyone deserves to be protected from the sun, and this brand sets out to ensure that people with darker skin tones have access to high-quality skin sun-care. 

Some great thing(s) about this brand: 

• Available at major retailers 
  • Products available for kids and adults 
  • Reef safe ingredients
  • Vegan and cruelty free 
  • No white cast – products made to look invisible on skin 

3. Glossier Invisible Shield

The brand Glossier, also known as the current ‘it-girl’ of effortless looking skin care and makeup, has a sunscreen I adore. It has a mattifying effect on the skin, is noncomedogenic, vegan, cruelty free, and even has a good scent. It’s SPF 35 formula (the American Academy of Dermatology (AAD) recommends at least 30 SPF) protects you from effects of free radicals, which this article explains exquisitely. In short, free radicals are atoms in our body that can cause visible aging effects and other health complications when they are overly present. 

My one downside of this product: 

• It only comes in 1 fluid ounce bottles! The girls need more!! 

Some quick math: AAD recommends applying sunscreen every two hours outside + the Invisible Shield is intended for facial application = I go through a bottle in one week 

CPL Sections TOILETRIES?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Her Campus Media Design Team

I hope as things get warmer you find some time to explore the great outdoors and feel refreshed basking under the sun’s rays (with sunscreen on, of course).

HCXO, Aimee 

Aimee Feuda

Millersville '23

Aimee is a senior Science Writing major at Millersville University. She is passionate about music, social justice, and mental health. Her interests include art, makeup, and attending live music.