Field Of Screams: Do You Dare?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Ever since I was a little girl, I’ve always enjoyed searching for a thrill. I was always getting into trouble, and very little scared me. I never had any of the common fears like of the dark, wild animals, thunderstorms or anything like that. To this day, very few things scare me, and one of them happens to be walk-through haunted attractions – they terrify me. But there’s never anything wrong with a good, fun scare every once in a while.

Lancaster is known for its “America’s #1 Haunted Attraction” commonly known as Field of Screams. It has been featured in several Halloween television specials, including some on the Travel Channel. The horrifying attraction, if you can even call it that, is split into three piers: the Frightmare Asylum, the Den of Darkness and the Haunted Hayride.

The Frightmare Asylum Legend has it that the Applegate Mental Institution once housed hundreds of unwanted, neglected, and insane patients. After existing for over one hundred years, this 4 story Asylum was abandoned in the mid 1900’s. Since that time the insane asylum has been increasingly haunted by the ghosts of its previous inhabitants. It has just been in recent years, however, that the souls of the previous patients have reached levels of such high intensity that visitors who dare enter inside its doors are sure to become trapped in a mind altering state. There have even been several reports of people gone missing after entering through its dilapidated wrought iron gates. Guests are forewarned of the violence of these spirits and are solely responsible for any unexplained activity that may take place once inside the strange confines of this asylum.

You can experience movie quality scenes and special effects throughout this four story haunted hospital of the insane and manic. Experience the fear and excitement as you meet (and maybe try and avoid) the deranged doctors and patients. As visitors are warned, checking in is easy. Checking out is deadly!

The Den of Darkness The Den of Darkness is one of the original barns which was built on this property back in the 1800’s. This 3 story building has a dark and mysterious, historic legend. It was eventually converted into a farmhouse in 1847 and then transformed into The Garden Hotel a few decades later. In the early 1900’s the Hotel caught fire, taking the lives of over 100 of the patients that were living inside at the time. Many of the patrons living in this hotel were hiding and seeking safety from the authorities that were out to find them.

The Ghosts of these victims still haunt the Den of Darkness to this very day – you will feel their presence as soon as you enter the building. Unexplained occurrences will take place as you tentatively wander through the three floors of fear. You will encounter numerous creepy inhabitants and creatures as you travel through the dark hallways and passages found inside the Den of Darkness. Surviving and exiting the Den of Darkness alive and without tears is a challenge for only the bravest of souls. The renowned Den of Darkness will leave you bolting for the exit.

The Haunted Hayride This is no ordinary hayride – no cheerful passengers or singing. No hot chocolate or huddling for warmth. Sure, you may be huddling, but in great terror – that’s for sure! There’s no turning back as you hop aboard this hayride through the ominous cornfield. As you witness terrifying effects and scenes, will you manage ro escape the creatures who stalk the Field of Screams? 

Hop on one of the hay wagons to venture into the Field of Screams’ cornfields to witness mayhems found only in your worst nightmares – this ride will stay with you for days afterward. Things will go awfully wrong as the featured insane rednecks mix shotguns, gasoline, and fire. Think they’re the only thing to worry about? Watch out for the life threatening lightening as well. Locals claim it’s from a mad scientist looking for new test subjects to experiment on. Still not convinced of the ride’s true terror? Hop on and see what other horror the hayride delivers to each victim that climbs aboard.

Still crazy enough to venture into the horror that the Field of Screams entails? The attraction is open on Friday and Saturday nights from 6-10PM and Sunday nights from 6-9PM through Halloween. Prices are $15 for the Haunted Hayride, $13 for the Den of Darkness and $13 for the Frightmare Asylum. Special prices are available as well, with $25 for any two of the three attractions or $27 for all three.

More information is available online at www.fieldofscreams.com or by calling (717) 285-7748. Dare to be scared by what thousands of people have already experienced – and good luck sleeping afterward.

Sources:
www.fieldofscreams.com

Amber Strazzo

Millersville

Amber Strazzo was born in Queens, NY, but raised in Lancaster, PA. She is currently a Senior at Millersville University, studying Public Relations and Journalism. Amber is the Vice President of Programs of the Xi Tau chapter of Delta Zeta, and is very active in Greek life on her campus. She's a self-proclaimed social media junkie, and loves shopping, her Nook and catching up episodes of Pretty Little Liars. After college, Amber plans to head south for grad school for student affairs.