Fake It ‘Til You Make It: The Lazy Girl’s Guide To Overcoming Procrastination

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

If you’re anything like me, the first week (or two, or three, or six) after spring break is the hardest. You just went from living a homework-free life with no alarm clocks right back into a rigid schedule with countless papers, homework assignments, and presentations looming in the near future. And while you know you have all these responsibilities to fulfill, you have zero motivation to do any of the work. 

So, if you’re looking for a sign to get your life together and actually start on that assignment that’s due tomorrow, this is it. But before you go, take a look at my (kinda) fool-proof method of overcoming the urge to procrastinate!

1. Gather everything you need to get started

If you’re writing a research paper or a discussion post, pull out your textbooks, journal articles, and all other sources of information you need to write. Figure out how you’re going to utilize each one, which one you’re going to draw the most information out of, then line them up accordingly. While this step doesn’t necessarily help you start writing, it does help you feel more organized and ready to take on your next project. 

2. Write your paper paragraph by paragraph

If you struggle to keep your attention locked on your project, write a full paragraph and walk away from it for a few minutes. Take a Facebook break, grab a drink, whatever you feel like doing in the moment. Then, jump right back into writing. As you get into the zone and really focus on the task at hand, you’ll start to forget about those mini breaks and think more about what you’re doing. This will make time pass more quickly, plus you’ll feel accomplished when you finally take a break and see how much you’ve finished! 

3. Let yourself breathe

Sometimes, doing homework can feel like the most overwhelming task in the world, and that’s okay. As college students, we have a lot on our plates, and sometimes those responsibilities can be totally draining. The important thing to remember is that, before the deadlines and assignments, you come first. While doing well in school is crucial, you can’t let yourself get burned out. So if you start to feel yourself becoming panicked, save your document, close your laptop, and do something you find relaxing. Take a walk to your favorite spot on campus and treat yourself to your favorite snack, lay down and take a power nap, or meet up with a friend and do something fun! You’ll end up coming back to your assignment with a fresh perspective and a clear head, which will help you finish it quickly. 

As you can see, it doesn’t take much to overcome procrastination! All you have to do is put your mind to it, and sometimes that’s the hardest part.

Good luck with the rest of your semester, and happy studying!

Dezi Donaldson

Millersville

I am a senior at Millersville University, where I am pursuing my bachelor's in communication studies. As the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Millersville, I am so thrilled to be able to lead and collaborate with the many creative students that populate our campus. My personal mission as EIC is to spread the word about Her Campus Millersville and bring the chapter back up to pink-level before I graduate in May 2017. In my spare time, I love binge-watching Grey's Anatomy on Netflix and spending time with my fiancé and our families. I'm also a sales associate at my local LOFT store and a proud fur mama to a sweet pup named Java. My passions include social media, fashion, coffee, and bad puns. My ultimate dream is to work for Her Campus Media at their headquarters in Boston, MA -- let's hope I can make it there! Instagram: @dezidonaldson
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3