Empower Peer Educators Walk-a-Mile

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

There is an old saying that you cannot really understand a person until you walk a mile in their shoes. That is exactly what Walk a Mile In Her Shoes, asks individuals to do.

Each year, an ever-increasing number of men, women and their families are joining the award-winning Walk a Mile in Her Shoes®: The International Men’s March to Stop Rape, Sexual Assault & Gender Violence.

Due to the sensitivity of these topics, this march allows a comedic way to break the ice, and hopefully have people take them more seriously. It is important to remember that sexualized violence does not just affect women. It affects the men who care about them, their families, their friends, their coworkers, and their communities. Sexualized violence is epidemic on society.

Five Interesting Facts about Rape, Domestic Violence, and Gender Violence:
1. About one out of every four women in America will be physically assaulted or raped by an intimate partner at some point in their lives.

2. One woman is beaten by her husband or partner every 15 seconds in the United States.

3. Boys who witness domestic violence are twice as likely to abuse their own partners and children when they become adults.

4. About two in five of all victims of domestic violence are men, contradicting the widespread impression that it is almost always women who are left battered and bruised

5. Nearly 8 million days of paid work each year is lost due to domestic violence issues-the equivalent of more than 32,000 full-time jobs.

The Empower Peer Educators held their Walk-a-Mile in Her Shoes on October 18, 2012 on the SMC Promenade. Music was provided by Millersville student band, Chaos Thompson. For more information, visit the EPE Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/em.power.98

Joie Formando

Millersville

Joie Formando is an English major at Millersville University, with a concentration in Writing Studies and a minor in journalism and music. She loves to write and cook (which is a work in progress) and is looking forward to "becoming a grown-up" post-graduation! She is the Arts and Culture Editor of MU's newspaper, The Snapper, and an active photographer-in-training. She can play a few chords on the guitar (but you'll never catch her singing for anyone) and her biggest dream is to move to London and work for a children's book publishing company.