Hero Images with HC Branding 13?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Hero Images with HC Branding 13?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Tim Wildsmith
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

As an early-childhood education major, I have read several picture books, some good, and some not so good. If I’ve learned anything, it’s that students deserve well written picture books. I’ve also learned that it is so important for teachers to consciously choose books for their classroom libraries that promote acceptance and diversity. For this week’s theme week of female empowerment, I chose to look at children’s literature that promotes female empowerment! It is crucial for young girls to have access to books that show them doing all the things that they dream of doing, because no dream is too small for a girl.

This Little Trailblazer: A Girl Power Primer by Joan Holub

This is a board book made for children ages 3-5 years. You’re never too young to start dreaming about the exciting adventures and changes you can make in this world! Give young girls the confidence to shoot for the moon.

The She Persisted series by Chelsea Clinton

This series highlights several women who persisted through challenges to change the world for the better. Matched with adorable illustrations, these biographies give a glimpse into how powerful women can be.

Goodnight Stories for Rebel Girls by Elena Favilli and Francesca Cavallo

This anthology of stories informs readers of 100 scientists, painters, judges, etc. In addition to biographies, there are several illustrations created by female artists from all around the world. I would recommend this book for older readers due to reading level and content.

The Questioneers series by Andrea Beaty

This series includes Ada Twist, Scientist, Rosie Revere, Engineer, and Sofia Valdez, Future Prez. I absolutely love this series! They are so inspiring for children, especially girls!

Greta and the Giants by Zoe Tucker

This new picture book illustrates Greta Thunberg’s global movement to raise awareness to the climate crisis. Inspire girls to speak their mind and not be silenced through this story.

The Most Magnificent Thing by Ashley Spires

This book is one of my favorites! It encourages the engineer design process through a story about a girl who is trying to make something magnificent out of ordinary things. She has a difficult start and has to persevere to create something. This book is a great book to use for a STEM design challenge!

It is so exciting to see more and more picture books being published that illustrate the extensive power that girls have. I look forward to the day that gender biases and stereotypes are less prevalent in our society. But for now, choose to read female empowerment stories to children to show girls that they can be whoever they want to be.

HCXO,

Hannah N

Hannah Newman

Millersville '20

Hannah Newman is a senior at Millersville University, studying Early Childhood Education with an integrative STEM methods minor. She has been writing for Her Campus for over two years, and is loving being the president of such an awesome chapter.
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3