The Emotional Stages of the End of the Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Ah, here we are again. Just a few classes and a couple of exams separate us and the sweet freedom of summer. Yet, before we get to experience the sun, the sand and the freedom that comes with it, we’re sadly stuck getting through these last couple weeks, sifting through piles of papers and projects. 

Let’s not panic! We’re all in this together and we all are waiting for the end. In fact, we’re all probably going through these same emotional moments as we traverse through the end of the semester together.

1) Looks go out the window

There is no longer any time built into the morning routine to wake up early and perfect your hair. Sweatpants and messy buns are considered completely acceptable by this time of the year, so no one is going to judge you when you show up to an 8 a.m. looking like a hot mess.

2) Overindulging….on everything

The end of the semester brings a TON of stress, and for many of us, stress is accompanied by a ravaging hunger. Whether you’re craving sweet or salty, it just seems impossible to ever feel stuffed when you’re working at full capacity during these last few weeks

3) Your bed is your new BFF

Sleep is a cherished thing year round, but at the end of the semester, the time spent wrapped in blankets easily becomes the best time of each day. For a few hours, you don’t have to think! That mental and physical rest is much needed.

4) Everything becomes a chore

The dishes are piling up, the laundry basket is overflowing and convincing yourself to get to the gym has become an immense struggle. 

5) You start to lash out at friends

The stress and the anxiety have built up so immensely, that neither friends nor family are safe from you when it finally erupts.

6) Your effort is plummeting at an alarming rate

Making dinner and folding your clothes are quickly swept to the wayside this time of the year. 

7) You begin to lose all hope for ever feeling okay again

Panic sets in. This test is worth HOW much of my grade? That project is due tomorrow? I need 110% on the final to get an A in the class? 

8) The warm weather gives you a surge to make it through the last few days

Just when you feel defeated, the sun comes out to remind you what you’re really fighting for – an entire summer filled with hot weather. 

9) You march into finals week prepared…to get it over with

The end is near. You’ve gone through every stage of the end of the semester and you’re ready to get in there, show your finals who’s boss and get out of there as fast as you can.

Hang in there, we WILL make it!

Mike Nitroy

Millersville

I'm Mike and I'm currently a junior majoring in digital journalism with a minor in psychology. My hobbies include writing, finding new music, video games, and anything T-Swift (really, who doesn't love her?) I'm a member of psychology club, Millersville Mentoring Alliance Program, and work at the University Bookstore. 
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3