Wellness

The Difficulties of Living At Home During the Quarantine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

As a girl in her second year of college, I greatly valued the independence I’ve gotten while at college. More so, because I’m one of five siblings. The space and freedom I got by living in an apartment and having my own room was exhilarating. But due to Coronavirus, I’ve since moved home. This has come with some struggles I feel most college kids that had to move home can relate to. So here’s my fun list of mostly normal but some weird struggles I have faced while home. 

Not having my own room

I think many college students that have a lot of siblings are experiencing this right now. My two little sisters have always shared a room, so when I moved into my apartment last fall, it opened up a room for one of them to move into, which they did. When I came back home, that left me with no room. I currently share a room with one of my little sisters. It can be frustrating sharing a room when you have already grown accustomed to not sharing a room, but compromises must be made in times like this.

Suddenly losing all of my clothes

In college, if you lose your clothes while washing your laundry, it was because some random person stole them. At home if you lose your clothes while doing laundry, it’s because your parents thought the clothes were your sisters. Don’t get me wrong, I do my own laundry. But if Zoom class comes in the middle of my wash cycle, my parents will fold it for me. As kind as it is, I’ve lost so many clothes to my sisters. 

Teaching three dogs when I’m trying to teach one

This point may not be as relatable to most people but dogs are always fun to read about. I’m raising a service dog and part of my job as a raiser is teaching him some basic commands. My other dogs at home have already learned many of the things I’m trying to teach him, however when new things come up, they want to be the first to learn. As cute as it can be, it can be equally frustrating, causing me to have to lock them out of the room when I’m teaching my puppy. 

Most of my things are still packed up

So maybe you have your own room, maybe you don’t, but regardless, some of your things that you usually have are probably still in bags or boxes or packed away until you move back into school next year. In my case, where I don’t have my own room, all of the things I typically have out are still in bags or packed in the attic. This can make life a little frustrating for people who are used to routines. I can’t even use my oversized calendar because I don’t have a desk to put it on. Where am I supposed to color code my assignments?  

Feeling out of place

This isn’t something you feel as bad during winter break if you go home, spring break, any short amount of time home when you can also go out and about. This is something you might really feel now. Stuck at home, not going anywhere. It shows me how my family has changed their routine since I’ve moved out. I feel not fully part of things, like I’m still just a visitor. It’s nothing my family is doing purposefully. It’s my normal chores during high school being done by my little sister, or going to feed the dogs at 6 p.m. only to find out they are fed at 5 p.m. now, or seeing the glass cups are on the second shelf instead of the third. It’s the little things that show how life has moved on since I’ve moved out. It’s sad, but life goes on. 

I hope that some people relate to what I’ve written about. I hope it gives comfort that no one is alone in how they are feeling. Whether you are happy you are home, or mad, or sad, or frustrated, you aren’t alone. There are other people out there who feel the same or very similar to you. Life will go back to normal soon hopefully. Until then, stay at home, stay safe, and stay healthy. 

HCXO, Becca

Rebecca Freeling

Millersville '22

Hi I'm Becca! I'm a Biology major with a concentration in Environmental Science at Millersville University. I spend my time writing, and training my service dog in training :)
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3