This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Calling all curly-haired girls! This time of year can be a bit busy for college students, with end of semester projects coming up (not to mention finals), lining up summer internships, planning vacations, and everything else you have going on. With that kind of a schedule, it’s easy to fall behind on other things – like your hair…

Sometimes we just need a refresh. While there are tons of things you can do to improve the manageability and health of you hair, let’s be honest – who has time for all of that right now?  I’m going to share a few tips that will take your curls from just okay to full-on bounce and shine stat. You’ve got this, girl!

Drink lots of water.

This is something that we should all be doing anyway. It is so important to stay hydrated, especially as the weather heats up. Maintaining your hydration levels will not only help you internally, but it will also do wonders for your skin, nails, and hair!

Make sure you’re using the right products.

This one requires some research. My recommendation is to head on over to Naturally Curly to find out your hair thickness, porosity, and curl type (Go here to take the quiz!). This will help you to find the right curly hair products for you. Curly hair comes in so many different varieties, so it’s important to remember that what works for someone else may not be what’s best for your hair, and vice versa. The Naturally Curly website will also give you some recommendations for great products for your hair specifically. Also, bonus points for Earth Day: try to use environmentally friendly hair products!

Use Less Shampoo.

This one may seem a little weird, but hear me out. While it may be tempting to shampoo a lot in the summer due to the… you know… sweat, humidity, and overall blah-ness, shampooing one to two times a week can help to cut down on some of the dryness we talked about earlier. If the prospect of washing your hair less is freaking you out right now, try out a cleansing conditioner. And that brings us to…

Condition, condition, condition!

If you have naturally curly hair, then you know that moisture is the key to happy curls. It might seem like dryness wouldn’t be as much of an issue now that we’re out of the desert-dry winter, but there are many other warm-weather factors that can be just as drying as cold weather. With summer on the horizon, it won’t be long before air conditioning and chlorine from the pool will be wreaking havoc on your hair. Using a lot of conditioner, including leave-in, is the key to silky shine.

Rinse with Cold Water.

I know, I know. This one is a little less than exciting to think about, but here’s the thing: while warm water feels great, it is not the best thing for your curls. Rinsing your hair with cool (like as cold as you can stand it) water can seal the hair shaft and give you a glossy look with a serious reduction in frizz. Also, remember that many products should be applied while your hair is still dripping wet! To dry your hair, consider using a microfiber cloth or an old cotton t-shirt.

That’s all I have for you today, guys! Of course, there is so much more I could write about with this topic, and one article just can’t cover it all, but these 5 tips will help you to get started. Knowing your hair type and how your hair handles different environmental factors is a great first step to giving your locks a boost no matter what the weather is doing. Just remember, you are all beautiful and there is no “wrong” way to rock your curls!

HCXO,

Autumn

Autumn Schmoel

Millersville '23

Hi! I'm Autumn, a senior at Millersville University majoring in business administration and minoring in entrepreneurship. I’m also the bonding coordinator for Millersville’s chapter of Her Campus. I love reading, writing, and crafting (you name it)!
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3