This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

I felt like I have not had much of anything to write or say lately. However, I have recently remembered something that really ticked me off. I feel the need to share actual, real life, day-to-day experiences I have had recently to uncover issues women in creative fields and majors face. Now as a side note: I know that ALL women face these challenges and discrimination, but I am touching on my experiences therefore it is more about women who write, do music or art, etc.

(Power to STEM women as well!!!)

Flatlay photography of stuffs on white surface photo.
Photo by Estée Janssens from Unsplash

I have been recently told a few things that I found less than satisfactory.

1.) I was told that “English majors don’t really need to rush back to in person classes because you can read and write things at home. It’s the professional majors like science and math and those who need lab/studio access that need in person lesson more.”

(I was told this from a professor no less)

This really got under my skin. I’m not going to say those other people do not need in person lessons. WE ALL DO. Every single college student attending college and paying for it has the need and the right to in person schooling. Everyone is in this mess with COVID-19 together, there is no one who is more important than the other. Also, the learning and teaching of English majors and art majors and music majors are based on in person, learning, reading, discussions, doing, etc. just like everyone else. News Flash – you wouldn’t have textbooks or graphics if someone didn’t write them, if someone didn’t design them.

Believe me…we are no less professional.

girl hair blazer professional
Hannah Bettis / Her Campus

2.) I have been told that since I am an English major and have a PR minor I “need to make sure to get my master’s degree straight away to be considered for any important professional career. I have to make sure I am suitable and stand out from men.”

Yeah…I have no words either. I will get a master’s degree if I choose, to BETTER my education for MYSELF and for my FAMILY. Not so I can “stand out from men”. In my opinion if a company won’t consider you for a job if you do not have a master’s degree and or you are a woman, guess what –> I don’t want to work for them anyway. People [mostly men] constantly tell women who want to have normal professional careers, that they went to college for and have done the work for, how exactly they need to measure up compared to them. No offense but kindly go away. Ladies we need to stand our ground, know our worth, and fight for it. ESPECIALLY those of us in creative ‘unprofessional” careers *insert eye rolls here*

woman using a camera
Photo by ATC Comm Photo from Pexels
two people painting together
Photo by C. Z. Shi from Unsplash
laptop, coffee, writing
Photo by Thought Catalog from Unsplash

I know this was a very ranting article, but it is so important to share stories like these and learn from them and grow. Reading this if it makes you angry – GOOD. Passion insights change and change insights a bright future. All I know is I will raise my future children to be strong and to be good and to be respectful and ABOVE ALL, strive for equality. These types of statements, so confidently made, so abrasive and belittling is a huge part of the problem.

Three muslim women under a cherry blossom tree
Photo by Hasan Almasi from Unsplash
Women sitting together
Photo by RF._.studio from Pexels
Women gather around a table
Photo by RF._.studio from Pexels
Women painting roses
Photo by Tabitha Turner from Unsplash
Women Knitting
Photo by Rebecca Grant from Unsplash

I hope we can all respect and understand one another no matter what gender, background, upbringing, economic situation, and so on. Try to check your bias, see other perspectives, and find your power! And the last little note I want to add – make sure women are protecting and building up women, we have to SUPPORT each other to be a united force agasnt sexism and ignorance! 

Until Next Time,

HCXO, Maddie Rose <3

Maddie Engleman

Millersville '24

Hello! I'm Maddie Engleman; A bit about me: I am a super senior at Millersville University this year, graduating spring '24. This fall is my 7th semester writing for HC which is so cool! I am an Early Childhood Education major and am minoring in General English. I absolutely love kids, writing, reading, cooking/baking, and crafting with my Cricut. I also enjoy spending time around animals! I love being a part of such an empowering platform and get to write pieces that impact people anywhere. HCXO ~ Maddie "Words are our most inexhaustible source of magic." - Albus Dumbledore (J.K. Rowling)
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3