This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Those we refer to as Vikings are not just village pillaging, bone crushing monsters that solely kill for the taste of blood. The Norse peoples that lived in Scandinavia in the early to late 900th century cannot be all classified as Vikings. There were Vikings in these villages, but they were select men that raided and followed their Chieftan in return for gifts. The rest of the village worked for their families and most had their own trades. The Norsemen that participated in the raids, the Vikings, were loyal to their Jarl (Chieftain) for the benefit of their families. A common misconception of these peoples is that they killed just for the thrill of it and had no common morals or dreams in their world. The Vikings sailed primarily to the East in the beginning of their legacy but sought the treasures of the West in modern day France and England. They had reasons to sail the open sea and pillage the societies they found. The loyalty of these peoples is an important part of their story.  

Fun Fact: The well-known Viking Helmet that holds two horns on the head is not historically accurate. In the late 1800’s an opera writer invented this helmet to bestow upon his actors to distinguish them as Vikings. The entire stigma around Vikings is falsely interpreted and I hope this article has opened your mind and piqued your interest in their history.  

May your minds be strong and your bellies full. 

HCXO, Devon <3

Devon Lewars

Millersville '22

Hi I'm Devon!!! I am a history major with a double minor in Theatre and Archaeology and I live in an apartment with my bff Hannah. I love compiling playlists on Spotify, watching period dramas, and spending all of my money. Yep, that's it. LGBTQ+ <3
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3