This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

On October 5th, 14 of our current members and 2 of our members from last year woke up bright and early and journeyed into New York City. Our outfits were super cute and our bags were packed for an adventure. We had been talking about this day for what felt like forever, and finally, it was here. It was College Fashion Week!

Several of our writers had never been to New York City before, so we got to the city with roughly 3 hours to spend exploring. After driving to a train station, taking the train into Penn Station, and then taking the subway to Brooklyn, we were ready to wander. We visited a thrift store called Out of the Closet and got lost among the racks of Halloween costumes and New York clothing. 

Since we were all sporting super cute fall looks, we took plenty of pictures, channeling our inner model! I had a blast snapping photos of our writers as they were hyping each other up and spreading so much kindness.

Finally, it was time for College Fashion Week to start. This was the moment we were waiting for! The event can be summed up easily in one word: AMAZING. There were several cute photo ops around the room hosted by various sponsors, including an inflatable snow globe that we got to take the cutest boomerang in (thanks Venmo!). We were given free goodies, including blanket scarves, a t-shirt, hair clips, nail polish, leg masks, and more. We got to make little bouquets to take home with us and mine is placed right next to my mirror to remind me of such a fun day full of empowerment and self-love.

The fashion show itself was so exciting! The runway was called The Real Runway, and the models were real college women. They were all so diverse that everyone in the crowd felt like they could be models too! I have only ever seen runway photos with models who are skinny and fair-skinned. It was so refreshing to see people that actually look like real life college students strutting on the runway! The models were all wearing clothing from Primark, which is a very affordable clothing store. There were three main styles, including 90s grunge and monochromatic business casual. After seeing their outfits, I felt so inspired to take another look at my closet and create some new outfits!

This day was such a fun whirlwind of adventure and style inspo! We felt so thankful that we were able to attend this year’s College Fashion Week! If you want to see more info on the sponsors, The Real Runway, and highlights, check out their website here. Be sure to follow our Instagram for more photos and coverage. 

The biggest takeaway from our trip was this: Wear what you want to wear! You’ll rock it. It can be fun to try out new styles or new articles of clothing! Take a step outside your comfort zone every once in a while and try something new. Hype yourself up because you are beautiful and worth it.

HCXO, Hannah N

All images courtesy of Hannah Newman

Hannah Newman

Millersville '20

Hannah Newman is a senior at Millersville University, studying Early Childhood Education with an integrative STEM methods minor. She has been writing for Her Campus for over two years, and is loving being the president of such an awesome chapter.
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3