This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.
“A classic is a book that has never finished saying what it has to say” – Italo Calvino 

Fiction is one of the great loves of my life and I have always been a very big classics reader from a young age. I have dabbled in all genres and different kinds of novels, but I am always drawn back to classics. I have always been so completely amazed that these stories have lasted decades, even centuries, and still have people reading and relating to them every day. I often have friends asking me where they should start with classics since they seem so intimidating. I am very lucky as I have been reading them for almost my entire life, so I was never scared to start since it was just always something I did. However, if you are looking for a good starting point, here are five of my favorite classic books and authors that I recommend beginning with.

Jane Austen

Probably the most obvious author on this list. Jane Austen is one of my favorites and I think she is great for beginners because we are already so familiar with these stories whether we realize it or not. There are also countless adaptations of these novels to watch after your finished and can really enhance the experience. With Austen, like most people, I started with Pride and Prejudice, which obviously follows the Bennet sisters, particularly Elizabeth and her relationship with the difficult Mr. Darcy. However, the one that I think would actually be the best for beginners is Sense and Sensibility. Sense and Sensibility follows Marianne and Elinor Dashwood following their father’s death which leaves them financially unstable. This book follows them falling in love and finding happiness without wealth in a society where money matters. Either of them would be great for beginners has we are all so familiar with Pride and Prejudice already and I, personally, found Sense and Sensibility to be the easiest to follow. Finally, my personal favorite of her books is Persuasion, so I recommend reading that one afterwards!

Animal Farm by George Orwell

George Orwell is another great author to start with as his writing is very straightforward and to the point. He was not a fan of ‘flowery language’ and I know that is a huge turn off for a lot of people when regarding classics. I think that Animal Farm is a book that everyone should read as I think it is absolutely brilliant. It is super captivating, easy to follow, and only around 100 pages so it is a perfect read for those who are intimidated by classics. It is an allegorical novel following a group of farm animals as they rebel against the human farmer and create a society where “all animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others”. It is one of the most brilliant books I have ever read, and I recommend it to everyone.

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

The most important book on this list and the first classic I ever read. This story has stuck with me throughout my life and I could not make this list without it. Little Women follows the lives of the four March sisters, Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy, as they grow up in Massachusetts during the Civil War. The story is so simple and quiet, but I think that is why I like it so much. In my opinion, this book shows that all you need are vibrant characters for a book to shine, not a flashy plot or setting. Alcott’s ability to make you fall in love with this family and these characters is truly amazing. I have read this book multiple times throughout my life (probably around 12 times) and every time I find a little more of myself in one of the March sisters. I truly believe that reading this book so much as a kid really shaped me into the person I am, and I especially encourage this book as a starter for children with classics. I am so glad this book was part of my childhood and it will always remain a part of my life. I also really encourage checking out Greta Gerwig’s recent adaptation if you haven’t already. It captures the tone of the novel perfectly and, in my opinion, is the first to truly do Louisa May Alcott justice by including her original ending.

Daphne du Maurier

Daphne du Maurier has quickly become my favorite author these past few months. I read her best-seller Rebecca over quarantine and was absolutely blown away by it. Just like Little Women, it is a very quiet and simple story but in a much darker way. Rebecca follows a nameless young woman who marries Maxim de Winter, a much older, much richer man and moves to his home called Manderley where she is constantly haunted by the memory of his late wife Rebecca. I won’t go into much more about it as I have a full, non-spoiler review linked here (https://www.hercampus.com/school/millersville/book-review-rebecca-daphne-du-maurier) that I wrote a few months ago. However, if you are interested in other du Maurier, I recommend My Cousin Rachel, which follows a young man as he is hosting his cousin’s widow after his mysterious and quick death, and her short story “The Birds”, which inspired the famous film by Alfred Hitchcock.

Bluebeard by Kurt Vonnegut

Prior to Daphne du Maurier, the author that held my top spot was Kurt Vonnegut. While I obviously recommend his most famous work, Slaughterhouse-Five, as well as my personal favorite, Cat’s Cradle, the book that I think is best for Vonnegut beginners is Bluebeard. I think this is a great place to start because Vonnegut incorporates a lot of science fiction into his writing and it can take getting used to. Bluebeard is one of the exceptions as it is easy to follow and lacks the science fiction elements. This book is written as the autobiography of the fictional Rabo Karabekian, a cranky, 71-year-old retired painter, who was convinced to write his autobiography by a young widow who barges into his life and home following his wife’s death. It’s a really great book and very underrated in Vonnegut’s bibliography.

I hope new (and old) readers of classics were able to find a book that peaked their curiosity on this list. I think classics are the closest thing we have to time travel, so I really hope you enjoy your journey, whichever book you choose.

Also, here is a quick bonus list of other classics I recommend checking out if none of these seemed interesting:

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy – Anna has an affair with the dashing Count Vronsky that scandalizes much of the high society of Moscow and St. Petersburg.

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens – Follows the life of Pip from childhood to adulthood as he goes from a blacksmith’s apprentice to the high societies of London while meeting a lot of spirited characters along the way.

East of Eden by John Steinbeck – Retelling of the biblical tale of Cain and Abel while following the Trask and Hamilton families in Salinas Valley, California.

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger – Two days following young Holden Caufield around New York City following his expulsion from prep school. 

Franny and Zooey, and Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters and Seymour: An Introduction by J.D. Salinger – Novellas following the Glass family.

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald – Jay Gatsby’s relentless obsession with his former love, Daisy Buchanan, against the backdrop of New York’s high society in the 1920s. 

Flappers and Philosophers by F. Scott Fitzgerald – Eight short stories including “The Ice Palace” and “Bernice Bobs Her Hair”. 

Happy Reading!

HCXO, Maeve

Maeve Corrigan

Millersville '22

Maeve Corrigan is a senior at Millersville University studying Communications with a minor in English. She is an avid reader with a deep love for music, film, and animals, especially her two dogs (Phoebe and Ruby) and cat (Ivy).
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3