This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

With the holiday season right around the corner, it’s important to remember to be thankful for the time you have with the ones you love. I know sometimes holiday gatherings can get chaotic. Arguments may ensue between your uncles regarding politics, aunts making plans regarding which stores to shop in which order on Black Friday or the annoying teasing among the cousins. But deep down, you know holidays aren’t the same without them. I remember being that young girl that was annoyed and exhausted after spending an entire day with her family.

Now looking back, I wish I had cherished those times.

After the passing of my great grandparents and then my grandpa a few years back, my family no longer could get along well enough to put their differences aside to enjoy the holidays. My grandma, aunts and uncles decided to go their separate ways and disappear from the lives of my immediate family. You would think the death of a family member would bring everyone closer, but the very opposite happened in this case… Ever since then, Holidays have been bittersweet.

Although I am very thankful to be around my mom, dad, and sister during our time away from school and work, it’s hard to not wonder how things changed so quickly. I’ve gotten used to celebrating with just my parents and sister, but I will never forget the holidays we once shared as one big family.

HCXO, Tia

Tia Strunk

Millersville '24

Hi! I’m Tia Strunk, a junior, and a biology major with a social justice minor at Millersville University. Some subjects I’m passionate about are social justice, women empowerment, mental health, and traveling.