This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Black History Month is a month-long celebration of the achievements and ground-breaking accomplishments made by African Americans in United States History. This celebration is honored every February and allows many to recognize how hard many worked to fight for equality in the country. Some facts about the historic month, as well as some accomplishments made and achieved by African-Americans throughout history, are:

• Black History Month began as just a week-long celebration in 1926, the celebration created by noted African American historian Carter G. Woodson. In 1976, it became a month-long celebration.

• Dr. Mae Jemison became the first African American woman to go to space, aboard the famous Endeavor shuttle in 1992. 

• The month of February was chosen to coincide with President Abraham Lincoln’s birthday and the birthday of noted abolitionist and feminist Fedrick Douglas.

• John Mercer Langston was the first African American man who became a lawyer in 1854. Additionally, Langston became the first African American to be elected to public office in the United States. Another fact about Langston; if you think his last name sounds familiar, it’s because it probably is! John Mercer Langston is the great uncle of Langston Hughes, a famed poet during the Harlem Renaissance.

• Hiram Rhodes Revels was the first African American to be elected to the United States Senate in February of 1870, representing the state of Mississippi until March 1871.

• Canada also celebrated Black History Month in February.

• Shirley Chisholm was the first African American women to be elected to the United States House of Representatives, representing the state of New York in 1968.

• In Hollywood, Hattie McDaniel was the first African American actress to win an Academy Award. In 1940, she won the award for her role in Gone With the Wind.

• John Baxter Taylor, a track and field athlete, became the first African American to win an Olympic gold medal in 1907. 

• In 2009, Barack Obama became the first African American president, serving two consecutive terms from 2009 to 2017.

Images courtesy of Google Images

Sources:

1. Black History Facts

Maggie Ross

Millersville '22

I'm just a simple gal who loves all animals (especially doggos), believes in recycling, loves to listen to anything from the 70's (especially Fleetwood Mac, David Bowie, and Elton John), collects mugs, blankets, and sweatshirts, and loves sunflowers, fall, and winter; and especially enjoys drinking tea.
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3