Croissant
Croissant
Shun Matsuhashi / Spoon

Brunch: Why It’s the Best Meal of the Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Ahhh, I love brunch. Everything about it is enchanting: from the menu to the time of day to the ambiance, it is more than just a meal. It is an experience. If you’re a “serial bruncher” like me, then my opinion needs no further argument or explanation. But for those of you who are so-so about brunch or think the entire institution should be outlawed forever, let me change your mind.

Brunch takes the best parts about all those normal, cliché meals and turns it into something entirely new. It is a feast of delicious treats, combined with a harmonious blend of pastel décor and sparkling drinks. Who needs a special occasion to eat decadent pastries, and drink bottomless glasses of strawberry lemonade? Absolutely no one. The culture of brunch allows for joyful frivolity.

One of the best things about the meal is that it cannot be reduced to a single time of day; brunch is an event all on its own. It is not rushed, it is savored. For this reason, it can last several hours. It is to be shared with friends on a lovely Saturday in June or a frosty Wednesday in January. The only rule is that it must be fun. Otherwise, it simply would not be a proper brunch.

Now let’s talk about the food itself. Dessert is an absolute necessity. Crepes are a divine addition. If the crepes happen to be of the dessert variety, then my job here is done. Pancakes, French Toast, finger sandwiches, and croissants are also excellent choices. Fresh fruit, whipped cream, and powdered sugar are welcoming toppings to any dish. This is, of course, not an exhaustive list, as this meal does not fall within the societal confinements to which other meals are beholden.

Have I convinced you yet? If so, welcome to the party! If not, I insist you go out this weekend. Find any good café, diner, bistro, or restaurant that is open near you, and have yourself a delicious brunch, no holds barred. At the very least, you will not be disappointed. At best, it will be life changing. If you live in Lancaster County, here are some places that have satisfied my brunch cravings: Rachel’s Cafe & Creperie, Lancaster Beignet Company, Grand Central Bagel, and Lyndon Diner. For even more options, check out this list on Tripadvisor.

Happy brunching! :)

HCXO,

Autumn

Autumn Schmoel

Millersville '23

Hi! I'm Autumn, a senior at Millersville University majoring in business administration and minoring in entrepreneurship. I’m also the bonding coordinator for Millersville’s chapter of Her Campus. I love reading, writing, and crafting (you name it)!