books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

A Book Lover’s Dream: ALAN Conference 2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

The Assembly on Literature for Adolescents of NCTE (ALAN) promotes young adult literature by the use of conferences and programs. Every year the NCTE holds a conference called the ALAN Workshop where lovers of books and educators gather together to learn about new young adult publications and how they can use these texts in their classrooms. This year the conference was held in Atlanta, Georgia. 

(Photo courtesy of author)

On November 20th, at the horrid time of 3 a.m., 17 Millersville students and one amazing professor took the 14-hour drive to attend ALAN. We survived this trip by means of coffee, random conversations (the crazier the better) and singing Disney songs and showtunes. 

When we arrived to the conference, early the next morning, it was like Christmas had come early — seriously. We received a box full of books and a small bag containing the books that didn’t fit in the box. In total, I received 48 new books (some that aren’t even released yet!). 

(Photo courtesy of author)

Of the 48 books, here are a few of my favorites:

1. Still Life with Tornado by A.S. King. 

I’ll be honest, when I finally met A.S. King I struggled with keeping myself from “fangirling” out. Not only is A.S. King an amazing writer but she’s also hilarious in person. This is her new book, Still Life with Tornado and I cannot wait to have enough time to read it!

2. Life in a Fishbowl by Len Vlahos

Firstly, isn’t that just an awesome title? It definitely caught my attention throughout the rest of the books in my box. I have high hopes for this book and am excited with how unique the idea is.

3. Riders by Veronica Rossi

Many of you probably know Rossi from the book Under the Never Sky. Personally I have never read one of her stories but my hotel roommate loved her writing and was extremely excited to see this book in her box.

4. More Happy Than Not by Adam Silvera

This book wasn’t actually in my box of books or bag. Instead, Silvera’s publisher was handing them out while I was standing in line to get his other book signed. 

5. The Female of the Species by Mindy McGinnis

This book caught my attention because the first sentence describing this book talks about murder. The way McGinnis writes seems sarcastic and humurous – definitely for people who like dark humor and get a kick out of inappropriate, sarcastic remarks (which is right down my alley!).

6. The Call by Peadar O’Guilin

This caught my attention because it was the only horror/thriller book among the pile of books. I love horror books and movies because it reminds me that life could be worse (at least I’m not being chased by a psycho with an knife).  After reading the description of this story it kind of reminds me of something mixed between The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins and The Maze Runner by James Dashner.

7. Clayton Stone, Facing Off by Ena Jones

(Photo courtesy of author)

When you were younger, did you ever pretend you were a secret agent or a spy? I know I did! This story is about a teenage secret agent who goes undercover to protect the president’s son. This is actually the 2nd book in the series. The first is called Clayton Stone, At Your Service.

8. 10 Things I can See from Here by Carrie Mac

Unfortunately this is the only author I did not get to meet. I love this book because it is something I can relate to. Books that are relateable are always the best.

9. Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

I’ll admit it, I’m a person who judges the books by their covers and I’m not ashamed of it. This book caught my eye just by the art on the dustjacket. Many of you may know Leigh Bardugo with her book called Shadow and Bone.

10. Saving Red by Sonya Sones

This is another relateable book. Honestly, this is probably going to be the first book that I read (once I finally have a break from school work, that is).

I had so much fun at this conference that I’m already making plans for ALAN 2017! The next conference will take place in St. Louis, Missouri! 

*All photos courtesy of Goodreads unless otherwise stated.

Elizabeth Nace

Millersville

The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3