This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

My first experience with musicals was my eighth birthday in New York City. My mom, brother and aunt all took me to Broadway to see my favorite movie (at the time), Annie, on the big stage. Annie was everything I had hoped and dreamed, leaving eight-year-old me praying to be on that stage one day. From that moment on, I was hooked on all thing’s musicals. Although, my dream of being on Broadway has yet to come true, I have seen enough of them to gain a list of favorites. Here is a list of my top five favorite Broadway plays:

Dear Evan Hansen

Evan Hansen is high school senior who struggles with social anxiety. Due to this, he is unable to connect with other people and make friends. After the suicide of one of the students at his school, Connor Murphy, he creates a lie that unintentionally brings him closer to the Murphy’s, while also allowing him to gain his own sense of purpose.

Natasha, Pierre & The Great Comet of 1812

This musical was inspired by a 70-page section of War and Peace. This show is an epic love story, filled with upbeat Russian music and dancing. This show is really unique, in the sense that the audience is immersed with the show. There are stages throughout the theater, during the show the performers are making their way around all the various stages throughout the theater. This gives you the sense like you are really there with them in Russia  in 1812. It’s truly amazing.

Les Misérables 

This musical was based on the 1862 novel Les Misérables by French poet and novelist Victor Hugo. This is probably one of the most known and overdone musicals; however, I still think it’s a classic. It is one of those shows you can see multiple times and it still has that heart touching effect (SPOILER ALERT) when Jean Vajean dies and meets with Fantine. It gets me every time.

A Bronx Tale

A Bronx Tale is a musical that takes back to the 1960’s in the Bronx, New York. In the show, Calogero Anello is stuck with the choice between his father and the mob. The musical shows his life through making his decision to join the mob or be an honest man. This was my first time going into a musical not knowing what it was going to be about completely. I was so pleasantly surprised at how amazing the show was, I couldn’t keep my eyes off the stage. 

Hamilton

Who hasn’t heard of Hamilton? I haven’t seen this one, however, the soundtrack is bomb and I’ve only heard amazing things about the show too. This isn’t your traditional musical, in this show they sing and rap through the life of founding father, Alexander Hamilton. It’s been a growing success ever since its release; so, if you ever can I recommend you see it.

All Images Courtesy of Google Images

Kayla Campbell

Millersville '21

Senior at Millersville University majoring in Early Childhood and Special Education.
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3