stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

The Best Indoor Plants To Purify Your Air

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Anyone who knows me knows about my obsession with plants. I’m basically out of window space and I still can’t seem to stop buying more. One of the great things about having plants, aside from them being pretty and nice to look at in a room, is that they’re really good for the air around you. Some may be better than others, but none of them are actually bad for the air around you. If you’re looking to purify the air in your room or house, here are some of the best plants to get!

1. Dracaena

The Dracaena plant has more than 40 different species (I have two!). They tend to be leafy plants that can grow to be really large, and some look like little trees! They remove a bunch of pollutants from the air. They are, however, toxic to dogs and cats, so if you have a pet that likes to nibble on plants, you should keep this one somewhere they can’t reach.

2. Snake Plant

I also have two of these beauties! Snake Plants can grow to be huge in a short amount of time, and usually have long leaves in different shades of green. They’re also super easy to take care of. I keep mine in the window where they get a lot of sun, but they also do well in low light areas. Mine like a lot of water, but once again, they’re a plant that can manage with only a little bit of water – they’re a great plant for if you have a hard time keeping plants alive!

3. Aloe Vera

Along with being a plant that clears your air of pollutants, Aloe plants have a gel inside that’s excellent for burns and cuts. They’re also another one that’s really easy to care for. They like a lot of sunlight and only a little water, and are really hard to kill. This is another good plant for beginner plant parents! Plus, there are a ton of different kinds of Aloe Veras. I have three different ones, and they sometimes grow stalks that flower if they’re really happy!

4. Rubber Plant

The Rubber Plant is a tough plant, meaning it’s pretty hard to kill. It’s also extremely effective in removing formaldehyde from the air, which appears in homes from gas stoves, trash bags, paper towels, and more. This plant has large, dark, rubbery leaves and is easy to take care of.

5. Spider Plant

The Spider Plant is one of my absolute favorites! It’s really beautiful, with long, thin leaves that like bright sunlight and a good amount of water. Eventually, they grow stalks with spiderettes on them (little baby Spider Plants – replant these and they’ll grow up into big Spider Plants!). Along with being a gorgeous plant, this one removes multiple pollutants from the air.

Plants are something that, in my opinion, you can never have too many of. They’re good for the air around you and while some require a little more work to care for than others, they’re still always nice to have. Even if you get plants that you’ve never heard of before, you can do some research on it to find out how it likes to live as well as what it can do to help clean up your air!

HCXO, Lola

*All images courtesy of Google Images

Lola Itzhaki

Millersville '19

Lola is currently a senior at Millersville University studying Early Childhood Education and has a love for art, music, plants, and coffee. Writing is something she has always loved, as well as traveling. A major goal of hers is to travel the whole way around the Earth and experience the different cultures across the world.
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3