This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

I’ve heard horror stories about roommates and the housing situation in college, and it was honestly one of the things I was most worried about when I began the college process. I consider myself to be extremely lucky in terms of my roommate situation. I joined the Facebook group for my school and class before I committed, and the people I began to talk to on that group helped me to take the leap to actually commit. I left a comment on my current roommate’s post since we had a lot in common. We both grew up in the same general area, and both loved our time in our high school bands. We didn’t realize at the time how much those bands meant to us, but our experiences there have definitely helped us bond over this past. My rooming situation is one hundred percent the best-case scenario.

I can say without a doubt in my mind that my roommate has very quickly become one of my best friends. She has helped me through some of the lowest points in my life, while also helping me celebrate the happy moments. She knows how to cheer me up when I’m down and how to make me laugh when I’m upset. We have come up with even simple ideas to have fun with each other, such as going to watch a sunset or grabbing Dairy Queen blizzards. 

We have slowly begun to get to know each other’s friends and family, even without meeting them. We like a lot of the same music, so we are able to make playlists for our many drives around and we can talk about new music coming out (looking at you, Harry Styles). She has finally convinced me to watch the Marvel movies, so we’re making our way through those, and I am thoroughly enjoying them. Half the time that we say we want to go to bed, we’re still talking about something completely different a half an hour later, watching the minutes go by as it gets later (but only half caring). 

I am so grateful that the housing situation worked out so I could live with my roommate. I cannot imagine this year without her. I feel like I have known her all of my life, even if it has only been for two years. I cannot wait to make more memories together over our next two years here at school, as well as beyond. We’re already making a list of all the things we want to do together over the summer, and I can’t wait to start checking those things off the list. She has rapidly become one of the most important people in my life, and I am so so so grateful for her.

HCXO,

Katie

Katherine McLaughlin

Millersville '23

Katie is currently completing her last semester at Millersville University, with a major in Digital Communication and Cultural Studies and a minor in Creative Writing and Publishing. Katie loves listening to music, traveling, riding rollercoasters, reading, hanging out with friends, family, and her dog, and writing for fun!