This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Two years ago when I first started writing for HerCampus, I wrote a really successful article about my best organization tips. So here I am, two years older and more mature, sharing with you my updated tips!  I currently am a senior early childhood education major and I graduate in May. Time is flying by and I like to think that I have mastered how to “college”. Below I bring you my best 8 organzational tips :)

1. Keep A Planner!

This is still one of my top tips because this is the most essential thing to organize your life! Get a planner format that works for you and allows you to write down what you need. I personally like a planner that has a two-page weekly spread and a monthly spread at the beginning of each month. Get a layout that works for you and will help you plan things out the way that you need. I always get my planners at T.J.Maxx because they have nice brands for way less!

2. Clean Before You Work

If my room/apartment is not clean, then I am unable to focus on my work at hand. I always make sure to tidy up my room and work space before I get to work. This also goes along with keeping myself clean. I have to shower and clean myself up before I am able to really focus and get work done. Next time you sit down to do homework try this tip and hopefully you are able to get more done!

3. Create Goals

I always start off a new semester with taking the time to write down goals that I have for that semester. I find this is a huge motivator for me and helps me to mentally organize what I need to do over the entire semester before it actually begins. As the semester goes on I cross off goals that I have achieved and also goals that I realize I do not have anymore.

4. Don’t Get Organized Too Early

I used to be that person who took my syllabi and wrote down every assignment, every reading, and every test the first week of school. I now think that is the WORST idea that you can do. I now only plan in advance about 2-3 weeks at time because I don’t want to get overwhelmed. I also have had way too many projects moved around that I am constantly changing things around in my planner if I write everything down too early. 

5. Write Things In Order Of Importance

When I write down my daily to do list, I always write down my assignments in their order of importance. This helps me because if I am unable to finish all of it, then at least I have the “most important” things done each day, and then I can move the uncompleted work to the next day.

6. Have All Other Things Written Down Early

Unlike my tip above, I always make sure to write down my work schedule, meeting schedule and any other random appointments that I have as soon as I know the dates and times!

7. Create Folders On Your Computer

I like to create a folder for each semester on my computer so that I can throw all of my completed assignments into them. Having a full computer background filled with assignments makes me overwhelmed so I like to make sure it looks clean by making the folders each semester. 

8. Write Out Grocery Lists

I make sure to write down my grocery lists before I actually go to the store because if not, I will get distracted and buy random stuff that I do not need. I also usually do not have that much time to go grocery shopping, so making the list helps me stay organized and lets me be efficient. 

Hope these tips help you all out! 

HCXO,

Lexie 

Gifs courtesy of Google Images.

Lexie Sites

Millersville '20

Hi! My name is Lexie Sites and I am a Early Childhood Education major with a STEM minor! HerCampus has allowed me to push my comfort zone, so I hope you enjoy reading my articles! HCXO, Lexie
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3