This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Happy Halloween Safety Awareness Month!

The month of October holds many days to celebrate and be aware of the things many of us struggle with. However, it is also the month of Halloween and with that we need to be aware of the safety of ourselves and others. Whether or not you have a little one trick or treating or if you are just going for a drive, we all need to be more alert to our surroundings. Here are some things to think about as we approach the spookiest night of the year.  

Keep Your Eyes Up and Uncovered 

On this night it is urgent that you be aware of cars in the road and those walking around you. Stay in well-lit areas if you are alone and always look when you are crossing the street. Most Halloween masks and wigs can cover eyes and make it hard to see where you are stepping.  

Stay Together!

If you are out and about with little ones or your friends, keep each other in sight and avoid separating. It is easy to lose one another within the chaos of this night, so try to pay attention to where one walks off to.  

Safe Driving 

The lure of candy can make children mindlessly cross the road without looking, therefore, you should keep your eyes peeled. Also, it might be wise to drive slower than usual through communities. Trust yourself more than other drivers and keep a safe distance between yourselves. Driving accidents are more abundant on Halloween night.  

Conscious Costume Picking 

When selecting your costume this year be aware of the message you are sending to others. Avoid costumes that could alienate the people of your community. Strive for an inclusive and positive costume that makes everyone feel safe and comfortable this Halloween.  

Avoid Large Gatherings 

This Halloween will have even more safety guidelines than years previous because of Covid-19. These rules cannot be overlooked even on this holiday. If you do happen to be in a small gathering, keep your distance and wear a mask. Decorate your mask so it adds to your costume! This will eliminate the fear of it being out of place. The safety of your family, friends and your campus are counting on you to stay safe so you can have a wonderful rest of your semester!  

Have a happy and safe Halloween this year! 

With love, 

Devon – HCXO

Devon Lewars

Millersville '22

Hi I'm Devon!!! I am a history major with a double minor in Theatre and Archaeology and I live in an apartment with my bff Hannah. I love compiling playlists on Spotify, watching period dramas, and spending all of my money. Yep, that's it. LGBTQ+ <3
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3