5 Struggles Engaged College Students Face

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Although most college students are prepping for finals week and planning their subsequent celebratory binges (on Netflix and otherwise), there is a small number of us who are planning for a very different celebration. One that includes countless color swatches, tons of tulle, and the occasional emotional meltdown. That’s right, some of your classmates are, in fact, engaged — and some of us are getting married a little sooner than you’d think. So here are a few of the struggles we young, engaged college students face:

1. Figuring out how to pay for the wedding

Unfortunately, weddings cost quite a bit of money, and taking on the task of paying for it (or at least most of it) on your own is beyond daunting. As if being a broke college student wasn’t tough enough.

2. Finding time to plan 

Between writing at least two ten-page papers per week, studying for finals, and working a part-time job, who has time to actually plan a wedding? Not us. And we couldn’t be more stressed about it.

3. All your friends expect to receive an invitation

Listen, it’s not that we don’t love you, it’s just that we’re too poor to host you and our huge families. So unless you guys want to bring your own food and sit on the floor in the reception venue, I’m afraid you’re gonna have to sit this one out.

4. Starting the “real adult” job-hunt months before your friends

Because getting hit with the realization that you and your spouse-to-be will be responsible for paying rent, bills, loans, and buying your own food is enough to make you wish you’d started job-hunting before you even started dating.

5. Listening to negative opinions on getting engaged during college

We get it, we’re young, but if I hear the “getting married at 21 is like leaving the party early” analogy one more time, I might just lose it. Let us live, please and thanks.

For all my fellow engaged collegiettes out there: good luck — we all need as much as we can get!

*All images courtesy of Giphy

Dezi Donaldson

Millersville

I am a senior at Millersville University, where I am pursuing my bachelor's in communication studies. As the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Millersville, I am so thrilled to be able to lead and collaborate with the many creative students that populate our campus. My personal mission as EIC is to spread the word about Her Campus Millersville and bring the chapter back up to pink-level before I graduate in May 2017. In my spare time, I love binge-watching Grey's Anatomy on Netflix and spending time with my fiancé and our families. I'm also a sales associate at my local LOFT store and a proud fur mama to a sweet pup named Java. My passions include social media, fashion, coffee, and bad puns. My ultimate dream is to work for Her Campus Media at their headquarters in Boston, MA -- let's hope I can make it there! Instagram: @dezidonaldson