This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

We’ve all been there, where we work ourselves to the bone and don’t realize how much pressure we are putting on ourselves, myself included. Here are 5 signs that I’ve noticed in myself and in my friends that mean you need to take a break and relax a little or cut something out of your schedule:

You fall asleep while scrolling on your phone.

This has happened to me so many times (and my friends have many pictures of it happening to me). This isn’t something that should happen, if you find yourself falling asleep while just scrolling through your phone, it’s time to pencil in some time to sleep in your schedule. 

You forget to eat meals or drink water

I’m not the best at drinking water, but I’ve noticed when I’m really busy, I forget that water (or any liquid) exists and I go hours without it and then realize when I’m feeling really drained. The same goes for eating, I go from class to work a lot so until I’m done work (which is usually late at night) I don’t realize I didn’t eat anything. Eating at least two full meals a day is very important. I try to carry granola bars in my bookbag so I can at least have a snack so I don’t pass out. 

You’re too exhausted to do anything fun or enjoyable

If you start to notice that you don’t have time to hang out with your friends or play that video game you’ve really wanted to start, then it’s time to take a break. If you feel drained and all you want to do is sleep and don’t have motivation for anything? It’s time to take a break! Give yourself time to enjoy life, it’s not all about school and work!

You’re more irritable and annoyed

Noticing that you’ve become more annoyed with people around you and your friends, it could be because you are overworking yourself. Take some time to yourself when you feel this way and think of ways to not cram everything into one day.

You feel like you can’t catch your breath

If you start to feel like everything is happening at once and that you don’t even have time to think, let alone breathe without thinking you’re going to cry? Then maybe it’s time to take time to chill. Go to the mall, go to lush (or your store of preference) buy a bubble bar or bath bomb and take a bath. Catch your breath, it’s going to be okay. 

Lastly, just remember that there is more to life than school and work, you need a break and time to relax or else you’ll burn yourself out. Take care of yourself!

HCXO, Erika

Erika Stewart

Millersville '20

"be the moon and inspire people even when you're far from full" Millersville '20, History and PR Major, avid Lady Gaga fan and kinda of, sorta, a mess
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3