This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Black History Month is an important time to sit back and recognize the many wonderful achievements and strides that many African American’s have made over the year. Many African Americans should be recognized this month, but I think it is really important to highlight the STEM achievements that have been made. Below are five of the people who I believe are most influential in the STEM areas.

1. Edward Bouchet

He was the first African American to receive a Ph.D. in any subject. He received his degree from Yale University for Physics in 1876.

2.  Ben Carson

He was the first neurosurgeon to successfully separate craniopagus twins (twins that are conjoined at birth). This surgery occurred at Johns Hopkins University.

3. Mary Jackson

She was the first African American female to work for NASA’s engineering program. She was a mathematician and an aerospace engineer.

4. Jane Wright

She was a cancer researcher and surgeon who pioneered chemotherapy and a drug called methotrexate to treat breast cancer and skin cancer.

5. Barack Obama

He was the first African American president of the United States of America and I think that he has made huge contributions to both the US and also to the progression of African American leaders in politics.

Take a moment to look up and expand your knowledge on not only these five influential people but also on the many other wonderful African Americans who have contributed greatly to the STEM fields of study. Take some time this month to appreciate all of the hard work that they have done to help make our lives a little bit better!

HCXO,

Lexie 

Lexie Sites

Millersville '20

Hi! My name is Lexie Sites and I am a Early Childhood Education major with a STEM minor! HerCampus has allowed me to push my comfort zone, so I hope you enjoy reading my articles! HCXO, Lexie
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3