This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Starting college can be a stressful time for anyone, no matter if you’re a freshman or a senior. Even with all the packing lists online and the endless articles listing what not to bring, it can be hard to think of every single item you want to bring to your dorm. I think I have a good grasp on some key items to bring to your dorm that I want to share with you today. 

Ikea FRAKTA Bag

The large Ikea shopping bags are the perfect item to use during move-in and move-out. They hold a lot of stuff and are way cheaper than storage containers. These bags are $1.49 and I only need two for all of my dorm stuff.

Rugs

Rugs are a perfect way to add a personal touch to your dorm. These are especially useful if your dorm has hardwood floors. Rugs are super cozy and make your room feel a little more like home. 

Tupperware

Bringing Tupperware to your college dorm can seem useless; however, they’re really good for cooking food and then storing it afterwards. Tupperware also saves space in your fridge from other bulky bags or boxes. 

Essential Oil Diffuser

Essential oil diffusers not only make your room smell great, but you can buy oil mixes that decrease stress! Oil diffusers replace the need for candles if your dorm doesn’t allow them and a lot of times they can be a cute decoration as well.

Dryer Sheets

Okay dryer sheets are pretty obvious for your laundry needs, but they can also help keep your clothes smelling fresh through the move-in process. Before you start packing your clothes, throw a dryer sheet in the bottom of whatever container you’re using to pack and your clothes will stay fresh until you’re ready to unpack. I also do this when I pack my sheets and bedding set. 

These are just some of the tips and tricks I’ve learned from living in a dorm. I hope these give you more ideas or help you out in your own dorm adventures! 

HCXO, Jenna

Jenna Case

Millersville '20

Hello! I'm Jenna, I am an Applied Engineering major from Harrisburg, PA. I love to spend time with my family, and write! In my free time, I can usually be found watching Netflix or bullet journaling. For more about me, you can follow me on my Instagram @jennaccase
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3