5 Easy Ways to Save Our Earth

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

These days, it seems as though our Earth is in more and more trouble—because it is! Sadly, our current government situation is not helping the cause. With the defunding of several Earth-friendly programs, Mother Nature is in for a rough ride. It is up to us, as human beings and habitants of this beautiful home of ours, to take responsibility and help save our environment. Here are a few quick and easy ways to do your part in keeping our Earth clean!

1. Recycle

I know this seems like a no-brainer, but it’s a step that’s highly ignored. Many times, people will throw their plastics, papers, and glass products in the trash can simply because it’s closer and easier. However, every time you do this, you’re hurting our Earth more and more. It may take a few more steps to reach a recycling can, but I promise you, it’s worth it! Every bit helps!

2. Watch your usage

Instead of taking super long hot showers, or leaving the lights on, try cutting down. Cut your showers in half, or even make them colder! The energy that is saved from not heating your water goes a long way! You can also limit your water usage when brushing your teeth or doing the dishes. When you leave your house every day, make sure your lights and fans are off, and non-essentials are unplugged.

3. Reuse

Reusable water bottles are a trend you can hop on board with! Try finding a dishwasher safe water bottle or tervis that you can reuse again and again. In fact, stock up on them! According to Band the Bottle, the average American uses 167 plastic water bottles a year, and only recycle 38 of them! Americans alone use 17 million gallons of oil annually to make these. Stop using them! They’re not biodegradable, so they’re not good for our environment. When plastic gets washed out to the ocean, it can harm the animals living there drastically. Instead, try for a reusable water bottle at places like Walmart!

4.Walk or ride your bike

This is easier said than done, but according to the EPA, staying off the road and using more friendly modes of transportation just two days a week can reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 1,590 pounds a year! Walking to class or riding your bike to work can help the environment tremendously. Plus, it’s good for your own health too!

5. Change you eating habits

It can be very easy to make more food than you’re able to eat. Wasting food is not only bad on your wallet, but it’s bad on the environment. Wasted food is sent to the same place as all our trash. When it builds up over time, the food at the bottom of these compost piles can no longer get oxygen. When this happens, harmful gases are emitted and our environment suffers. If you can’t finish your food at meals, save the rest for leftovers, or simply order/make smaller portions. This is also a good habit to start for your own health!

In a world this big, it can be hard to feel like you’re really making a difference. However, every little bit goes a very long way! Share these ideas with your friends and family. Don’t be afraid to make these lifestyle changes. In the end, it will save our Earth. And we only have one Earth, so let’s take care of it!

*All images courtesy of Giphy and Pinterest

Jessica Moore

Millersville

I'm currently a junior at Millersville Unversity studying biology! I started at HC as a first semester freshman and have been with it ever since. Along with writing passionately for Her Campus, I am also a member of Alpha Sigma Tau.  My passions include reading, writing, animals, and food. In my spare time, I thoroughly enjoy binging netflix, reading a good book, and taking naps.  Instagram: @jessy_poo96 Twitter: @jessy_poo96
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3