This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

I love fall. I love sweaters, and boots, and pumpkin spice. However, my favorite thing about fall is exploring cute small towns, and looking at fall foliage. My mom and I have been taking day trips around Pennsylvania ever since I could remember. I always loved them a little bit more when we took them during autumn. So, join me on my past adventures with five of the best Pennsylvania small towns to visit in fall.

1. Jim Thorpe

Jim Thorpe is my all-time favorite town to visit in fall. It’s essentially a little valley surrounded by trees only 17 miles south of Hazelton. You can even take a steam engine train through the foliage to this quaint little town. If you visit in October, enjoy their fall festival and splurge on some fall goodies.

2. New Hope

If you like shopping, then New Hope is for you. This small town is packed full of local shopping and boutiques. Forty miles north of Philadelphia, this town has an eventful nightlife and family friendly activities during the day. This is a great place to support small businesses.

3. Gettysburg

This may not seem like your typical Pennsylvania small town, but downtown Gettysburg exemplifies the small-town feeling. Gettysburg is no longer just for history lovers. There is plenty of fall foliage to be appreciated throughout the town, and is a great place to watch the seasons change. Also, if you love Halloween, check out one of the many ghost tours the town hosts through the battlefields!

4. Johnstown

Johnstown is absolutely beautiful in fall. Although it is mostly known for its historic floods, there are plenty of fall activities to enjoy in the town. Take the incline through the trees or hang out in one of their many conservatories or parks.

5. Bushkill

If you’re into hiking and the outdoors, then head on over to Bushkill. Just 18 miles north of Allentown, you’ll find many scenic hikes and trails including the Niagara Falls of Pennsylvania. Bushkill is considered to be one of the mot scenic places in all of Pennsylvania.

All images courtesy of Google

Jenna Case

Millersville '20

Hello! I'm Jenna, I am an Applied Engineering major from Harrisburg, PA. I love to spend time with my family, and write! In my free time, I can usually be found watching Netflix or bullet journaling. For more about me, you can follow me on my Instagram @jennaccase
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3