This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

“There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.” – Diana Cortes

Whether you and your best friend go to different colleges, your bff is taking a gap year, or they are studying abroad, long distance friendships can be a struggle. There’s nothing worse than hearing a funny joke and turning to tell your best friend, only to realize that she or he is not there. It’s awesome when the people close to you get to have exciting experiences such as spending the semester in Florida as a part of the Disney College Program, but it sucks when you aren’t able to see them every day. Here is a list of things to do to show your love for your friend no matter how far away the two of you are.

1- Tag Them in Memes

It takes about two seconds to tag your bff in a meme that made you laugh. Bonus points if you tag them in something that makes you think of them. Nothing brightens up my day more than seeing a notification saying my best friend tagged me in something! This simple act sends out a reminder that you are there for your friend, no matter the distance!

2- Send a Text

While you’re getting ready for your day or getting ready for bed, type out a quick text letting your friend know that you’re thinking of them. Chances are, while you’re missing them, they are also missing you tons, so a sweet little message can help your best friend feel like you’re right there with them.

3- Send Snail Mail

I know, texting and messaging is an instant way to contact people, and sending letters in the mail is old fashioned, but this is a great idea! Collect small stickers, a bookmark, and other random things that you find throughout your week that make you think of your best friend and send them with a letter! You can make your own letter with a silly cheesy saying, or pick up a card from the store. A quick search on Pinterest for pen pal ideas will give you tons little ways to make each letter special.

4- Make Playlists

Using Spotify, Youtube, or Apple Music, make your bff a playlist of songs that make you think of them! This is a super thoughtful thing that you can do. Your best friend can listen to these songs when they are having a rough day or when they need new music to listen to.

5- Have a Movie Night

Choose a movie for both of you to watch one evening. Either text throughout the movie, or give your bff a call the next day to discuss what you loved and what you hated about the movie.

6- Start a TV Show Together

Pick a show neither of you have seen before! Make a plan to watch an episode once a week and discuss your likes, dislikes, theories on what will happen next episode, what made you laugh, what made you cry, the works!

7- Start a Joint YouTube Channel

This one may be more work than the othes, but I love this idea. Create short little videos by filming things throughout your day that you wish your best friend could see, such as getting breakfast at your favorite spot on campus, your friends goofing off, the sunset, a snippet from the movie you watched this week, etc. Set these clips to a song that you’re currently digging and upload the video to your channel. This way, your bff can get a glimpse into your life and you can see what your bff is up to!

8- Long Distance Book Club

If both of you are avid readers, choose the same book to read. Underline the sentences that you really like and share your guessing about what might happen with your bff. But remember, if you read ahead of your bff, no spoilers!

9- Video Chat

Of course, this is one of the best things to do. If you were used to seeing your best friend every day before you went to different schools or before they started studying abroad, your days can feel somewhat empty without them. Video chatting is a great way to feel together! Set aside a time to catch up at least once a week.

10- Send a Care Package

I don’t know about you, but I wish I could give my best friend the entire world. Obviously, that would be hard to send as a care package, but get creative! Pick out a best friends necklace or bracelet set, or matching hair scrunchies. Keep one, and send the other in a cute box full of small goodies to brighten up your bff’s day. Maybe you find a new nail polish color that you totally love. Pick up a second bottle and send it to her. Doodle something for your bff to hang up in her room, pick up some of her favorite candies, buy a sticker from the school you go to, or print out a bunch of your favorite pictures of the two of you. 

I hope these ideas helped! Always remember, a great friendship can survive no matter the distance. 

HCXO,

Hannah

*all gifs courtesy of giphy.com

Hannah Newman

Millersville '20

Hannah Newman is a senior at Millersville University, studying Early Childhood Education with an integrative STEM methods minor. She has been writing for Her Campus for over two years, and is loving being the president of such an awesome chapter.
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3